Author Topic: Horse help  (Read 6028 times)

mychocolabs

Horse help
« on: September 07, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »
Was looking for a pony for my kids and found a shetland that I was told was a trail horse.  She is great with the kids but was very thin.  I got her just over a week ago and I am trying to put some weight on her before I let the kids ride her.  I have also noticed that her coat is not in the best of shape any ideas as to what other things I should be giving her.  All I have done is wormed her and have been giving her beet pulp and grain, all the hay she can eat and I bring her out of the barn for fresh grass just don't want her to get too much.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mychocolabs

Re: Horse help
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
Was also told that she is a rescue horse, she is blind in one eye but it doesn't seem to affect her personality that much she is just a sweetheart who was dealt a bad hand but that is over and she will now have a great live with lots of love.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 02:02:01 AM »
Poor little thing. I would have the vet out, he/she can check the mares teeth. Be prepared, once she is fattened up, she may be a handful, and be careful, ponies can founder pretty easily.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:38 AM »
Pretty little girl, and I agree with Nic.  A good checking over would be a good start and go from there.  Good luck with her and for giving her such a loving home.
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

dreamriver

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • DreamRiver Farm
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
I would definitely have her thyroid +/- check for cushings.   she's a cutie
Deb,LVT
Nubians/saanens
dexter cattle

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 11:03:26 AM »
Looks like she has found a home and I agree with the girls above. Some Shetlands are great and then ...but that was from the people that trained them. Give her time and love but dont spoil her with treats as this can cause problems. Yep I would call a vet and either take her in or them come out and also if the feet need done.
I worm mine on a regular basis and when their coat gets dull I add a handful of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds to the grain is sure makes them shiney...You just dont want to overdo it too fast. also she will need exercise so that she makes muscle and not fat. Just a few suggestions, hope this helps...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
  • KGW Farms I'm In The Spotlight
    • KGW Farms
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:53:28 PM »
Oh my goodness, I can't belive I missed this post! Do you still have this pony? Did you have the vet out yet? Please be VERY careful with grass and introducing feeds, start very slowly. If she were mine, I would be feeding a good quality grass hay only. Supplimenting with a complete feed per instructions on the bag for the weight/condition of the pony. I would not put her on grass due to risk of founder. Just because a pony is "skinny" doesn't mean they cannot plump up very fast. If you do allow her grass, limit her to a couple hours in the morning and at night. if you are using beet pulp, dont forget to soak it, it does cause choke in horses. Has she been wormed? Do you know her age? Could she be a Cushings candidate? How are her teeth? She is just darling!!!!!! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!!!!! Good luck!!!
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Bobg2012

• New to fourm -0- posts
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 01:46:37 AM »
She will need to be checked for worms by a vet.  Just giving her a worm medicine can cause colic if she is loaded.  Also she will need to have her teeth checked.  She may have worn sharp spikes on her back teeth which makes it painful to eat.  They may need to float her teeth.  Feed her only grass hay and make sure she has plenty of fresh water.