Author Topic: Should we???????  (Read 2404 times)

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
  • KGW Farms I'm In The Spotlight
    • KGW Farms
Should we???????
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:12:17 AM »
DH was at his mom's tonight and they have an 8 week old bottle calf they want to give us. Here's the problem....she has swollen joints and doesn't like to stand. I am thinking joint il. At any rate, whether I take her or not I want to suggest to them to treat her with Nuflor and if I take her, I would do the same. My question for all you cattle people out there is: Is this the appropriate antibiotic or do you suggest something else. What would be the dosage and time interval? Is there anything else she would need?

I am really not wild about this but I really think DH is excited and wants her....which ultimately translates into me having to do all the work!  pullhair

And....she would have to travel to endurance rides so we could bottle feed her. By the way, how long do you have to bottle feed a calf?
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: Should we???????
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »
First?? Did the cow recieve the Black leg shot?
2nd...Havent ever treated swollen joints for mine ever but I would recommed Pen or the Nuflor.
3rd...does the calf seem to be in any pain?
4th...give Banamine for the pain

This leave you with giving shots at least 2 times a day and if you arent up to it I wouldnt do it. She does need to be treated for this So would tel MIL to start somekind of treatment or the calf will die as it will get to where it wont get up at all.
If you do take her you will need to treat her and also she will need Probiotics too.
Calf even when in a weakend state are very strong so think hard before you start this venture...Good luck and call me if you need me.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
  • KGW Farms I'm In The Spotlight
    • KGW Farms
Re: Should we???????
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »
I think I have DH talked out of this venture!  :whew:

I told him to suggest Nuflor but that it absolutely MUST be given consecutively until all symptoms are gone and the calf is better (and a few days after even). This could take one, even two weeks!

I do not think they vaccinate, worm, or anything. I think God takes care of them...another reason I do not want to get involved! Plus my health isn't the greatest and I would be the one doing all the work!

But, I am so sad that this calf might die if we do not intervene . I do not want that on my conscious either. I hope they decide to threat her. I think they even talked about putting her down if we don't take her. How silly for a little bit of TLC could make her better. But that is a big question mark because I really do not know for certain this is what is wrong with her. Apparently she is very strong and eating very well and gaining weight like crazy.
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907