Author Topic: Help, girth is rubbing  (Read 3422 times)

Wild Wind Farm

• Wild Wind Farm
  • www.ddnigeriangoats.com
    • ddnigeriangoats
Help, girth is rubbing
« on: July 18, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
Just finished a 10 mile ride, we are getting ready for Oaks Opening,(CTR ride)  My girth is rubbing my horses elbow, it has never been a problem before, this is his 3rd year doing Competitive Trail and this is the girth I have always used.  A new girth is in order what do any of you use?  I ride in a Bob Marshal treeless endurance saddle.

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Re: Help, girth is rubbing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 03:15:21 PM »
It's been way too many years since I've ridden and never endurance, so I won't be any help with the girth issue.  However, I expect someone will be on here soon that may be able to help. 
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
  • KGW Farms I'm In The Spotlight
    • KGW Farms
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »
Is your girth neoprene? That is what my husband and I use. We born are endurance riders. Although I have never done a 100, my husband does them all the time. I mostly do LDs and have competed in some 50s.

When a horse is starting to rub (getting pizzas) you can both apply vasolene to a neoprene girth in that area and loosen the cinch. We both ride with pretty loose cinches! Sometimes you can see daylight under them! But our horses are very fit and have big withers to hold the saddle in place!

Hope this helps.
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
 :s2: I ride but dont do Endurance...so no help here...  :s2:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
    • KGW Farms
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:06:41 AM »
I forgot to mention also that when we first start our horses in the Spring after being "off" all winter, their skin is tender in the girth area. It does take a few conditioning rides to really toughen up the skin. Eventually they do get pretty tough.

If your horses is sore of has pizzas it can make him go lame which is a DQ for endurance and serious points off for CTR! During a ride, if we notice a little soreness we apply Vaseline and loosen up the girth and that usually helps. Also, some saddle rigging causes girths to fall right behind the elbow which can also cause soreness. I also ride in a Bob Marshall treeless endurance saddle, but we have Sharon Saer, and other saddles as well. As endurance saddles, the rigging is set back a little. Yours should be as well but check it, they are not all this way. Hope this helps.  :smileywavey:
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Wild Wind Farm

• Wild Wind Farm
    • ddnigeriangoats
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »
Thanks KGWFARMs,  I was hoping you would post to my problem.  I have not used vaseline and will give it a try, I do use a neoprene girth and ride with the girth somewhat lose, though not as lose as you do.  I road 12 miles yesterday with the saddle moved back alittle more and one of my other girths that has a neoprene sleeve, I got no new rubs and the old ones are healing.  Thanks for the help.

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
    • KGW Farms
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:26:46 PM »
 :clap: :clap:

That is GREAT!!!!! You should notice the are toughen up as you continue to condition as well!

Where do you go to compete in CTR?
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

zcmc53

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
i Know im a bit late on this topic, but for any future searches.....I have found that mohair /stranded girths are absolutley fantastic! just be sure to get one with  flat buckles, usually just stay away from the cheaper girths. I had ridden in neoprene for a good while and switched over to mohair/strand girths. Big difference in the "wear and tear" on a horse and they grip quite nice when wet. plus they are machine washable and always stay soft and plyable. I do use a somewhat smaller cinch size due to the vein that travels along the horses side there.....dont ask me the name, lol. My 15h OH wears a 26" cinch. Keeps that swelling ring or poofyness away after uncinching by not putting pressure on that vein. Hope this helps!
A horse doesn't care how much you know until he knows how much you care.
~Pat Parelli

Wild Wind Farm

• Wild Wind Farm
    • ddnigeriangoats
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:56 PM »
Thanks for the information, where do you buy yours?