Author Topic: New project...a baby steer  (Read 2575 times)

bs_arnold

• Arnold's Goats
New project...a baby steer
« on: August 01, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
well I sold more than half of my goats and picked me up a baby cow. He's 2 weeks ols and drinks great and nibbles on grain but he seems to be kinda skinny. This is something I never done before so I dont know if he's supposed to be kinda skinny or not but I dont think so. He has not had any shots and Im gonna get those from the vet tomorrow but i was wondering is there anything I should do special for him to prevent scours. THats my main concern right now I guess and him being skinny
Arnolds-Goats
Ligonier, Indiana
www.freewebs.com/arnoldsgoats

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: New project...a baby steer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 11:07:24 AM »
Well the first thing to prevent it is his CD/T shot. and dont feed replacer to him as this will start them. He will stay sort of skinny till he starts eating grass and hay and feed. then he will start to put on weight. Has he been wormed yet? Has he been nutered ? I dont band my bulls till they are 5 mths old but some do it when they are first born. What breed is he? this will also determine if he puts on weight too. If he is a dairy mix then he wont get really heavy. I feed bottle calves 2 to 3 times a day but some only feed 2 times a day but thats alot of milk each time for their tummys so I break it up. With him being 2 weeks old he might need more. You dont want to over feed him and usually 2 gallons a day is my limit and I break it up over the day till around bedtime. as they get older and start eating grass then I take away a bottle. If he was fed 2 bottles a day then divide it up especially with this heat everyone is having. I also gave mine a bottle of electrolytes too. Hope this helps some.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: New project...a baby steer
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09:20 AM »
Is that him in your avatar? if so he looks to be a Holstein cross or full Holstein and he wont put on alot of weight like beef cattle but will do well. Also dont make a big pet of him as cattle dont know thier own strength and will and can hurt you. Feed him but dont really love on him like a goat. As he ages he will still think he is that small and some can get rough. Just a word of advice bulls and steers I dont pet just cows and heifers.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:11:27 AM by Chaty »
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27