Author Topic: Getting cows  (Read 2398 times)

momto40

• Goat Enthusiast
  • Breeder of AGS Nigerian Dwarf
    • Sunset Lake Ranch
Getting cows
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
I am curious, as I have never owned cattle, how your goats do around the cows.....

We are looking to bring in 2-4 cows this week that are 8-9 months old.  I don't think they have ever been around goats before. 

Does anyone have any pointers?  The goats are going to be in an area that they can get away from the cattle and be safe, but I have never had cows..... 

The cattle are Holstein or Guersney crossed with Red Angus.

Also, do you happen to know how much these cows might eat in a week.  I have 600# rounds that I am looking at putting out for them - but want to make sure that I have enough for the winter as we are going to butcher in Spring.

Thank you!!!
Allison Spacek
Sunset Lake Ranch
Harrison, Idaho
www.sunsetlakeranch.net

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: Getting cows
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 05:35:21 PM »
Hello,
I have cattle and goats also and horses even and all of mine seem to get along well. I take the goats out back alot and the cows and bull are usually there and they dont seem to bother each other. Some are curious and come up to see what the goats are, the goats usually run off or the cow just stops. The horses dont bother them either as usually the dogs are with us when we go out.
Most cattle and I have over 20 beef cattle and 1 jersey  I will put out 4 to 6 round bales out till its gone and it takes them about 2 to 3 days to finish it. I dont put it out till it starts snowing or its really cold as mine have about 134 acres to graze on. With 4 I would start with 1 and make sure you put it in a ring or they will walk all over it and poo on it and wont eat it. They are wasteful just like goats. If its messy they dont want it.
I hope this helps some. With these being crosses you might have to feed them range cubes also to hep put more weight on them if they are to be buthered later. Are these steers or heifers?
Hope this helps some...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

momto40

• Goat Enthusiast
  • Breeder of AGS Nigerian Dwarf
    • Sunset Lake Ranch
Re: Getting cows
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 06:22:42 PM »
Thank you so much - that helps!
Allison Spacek
Sunset Lake Ranch
Harrison, Idaho
www.sunsetlakeranch.net