Author Topic: Mini Donkeys - Who has them?  (Read 7515 times)

SweetGumMinis

• Sweet Gum Minis & Manchas
  • Mega Poster
    • Sweet Gum Minis
Mini Donkeys - Who has them?
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »
I've been bitten by the mini-donkey bug and have decided that I'd like to get two in the future. Not sure how soon it'll be. Depends on a few things and the first one is how soon we get a pasture and barn secured for them. They won't be housed with my goats, but a separate place to themselves. That's one reason I'm looking at 2. For company for one another.

Anyway, I was curious who here has mini donkeys? What do you think of them? I'm anxious and excited. We have seen numerous ones at different farms and I have always been absolutely smitten with them. I have been doing a lot of research and have contacted a breeder. Getting things planned out for now.

Should be quite an adventure and lots of fun! We're major horse lovers here, but don't have a large enough place here or the right type of pasture for horses, and after doing lots of research on donkeys, I've discovered they'd be perfect for us! Our first equines! Hopefully, when we move in a couple years we'll have a much larger and flatter farm where we can spread out and add horses too. That's all a long way down the road. The donkeys will be wonderful pets for us!
Ashley Capps
Sweet Gum Minis
Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats
Taking reservations for 2010 kids!
South Carolina

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
Re: Mini Donkeys - Who has them?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »
Where on Earth would you keep them?  I don't remember much flat land on your property...and it's not fair to ask a large hooved animal to live on a hillside.

Donkeys are a whole different game than goats, and are not a bit like a horse.  They are quite loud, too.  Their behavior is such that you'd better get some lessons from someone who is experienced with donkeys and mules before you even consider the jump.  Their nutritional needs are specific, also.  Donkeys do INSIST upon attention, as well, so if you cannot block out time each and every day to spend with them - you will wind up with sour attitudes.  Hoof care, dentistry, annual vet checks and Coggins tests...these add up quickly...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

SweetGumMinis

• Mega Poster
    • Sweet Gum Minis
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »
You've only been here for a moment a couple times so I'm sure you didn't get a good look around. Yes the goat's pasture is hilly hence the reason there's goats on it. The bottom of the property and the buck barn and beyond is pretty flat. Flattest area is the doe barn and beyond.

You've only had the one donkey right? I'm not planning to have horses at all on our property unless we opt to buy more which is extremely flat. The next few acres are all level and flat and would be good grazing pasture. We haven't decided on whether we'd prefer to sell this place and move to a new farm or add on and change things around a little.
Ashley Capps
Sweet Gum Minis
South Carolina

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 06:29:37 PM »
Yes, I've only owned one miniature donkey, but over the past 21 years I've worked with donkeys, mules and horses extensively...so I'm not talking out of turn.  Good luck with your decision.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

SweetGumMinis

• Mega Poster
    • Sweet Gum Minis
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:36 PM »
Thank you for keeping this civil. Good luck with your decisions too.
Ashley Capps
Sweet Gum Minis
South Carolina

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 12:16:29 AM »
I have never owned them, but I have a friend who raises them, and man are they ever loud. Hers go off every time someone pulls into her driveway, or if they see her, it is plug your ears time.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 12:48:55 AM »
 :lmao3: Nic!
I almost got a donkey, but decided against it. I wouldn't want the loud noises, that's for sure, but they are cute!!
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 01:22:35 AM »
Donkeys don't like dogs, so if you have dogs, a good dog proof fence is important.

:lmao3: Jennymae, I can just see your DH when you went out at 3am to kid a goat and the donkeys went off. Darned things won't just shut up like a dog, once they are revved up, they go at it until they are finished.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 01:24:33 AM by GoatTalker »
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 02:24:00 AM »
 :lmao3: He'd have my head Nic. I'm already getting slack from the rooster waking him up in the AM. Lucky for me; he wanted that darn rooster.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 11:17:44 AM »
Gosh, yes...they are so so loud!  An aquaintance of mine in the short stirrup division years ago had a mule she rode in the classes...and you could hear that guy over the entire show grounds when he went off (and :hehe: the noise spooked horses that hadn't ever heard it before!).  Our mini donk, Don...he was so loud you just had to stop talking and wait for him to finish...and it was loud enough that it would hurt your ears if you were too close!
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

SweetGumMinis

• Mega Poster
    • Sweet Gum Minis
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 04:09:36 PM »
Took me a few minutes to find this since I didn't know it was moved.

There is a small farm up the road from us, not even to the top of the hill and they have 4 or 5 donkeys there. I never hear there's at all. If I hadn't seen them I wouldn't know they had any at all. I can hear cows every once in a while. They have numerous cows.

I love hearing them bray and horses nicker so I think its neat. I've had loads of chickens here crowing all hours of the day and night and the goats are incredibly noisey too. So they'll fit right in.
Ashley Capps
Sweet Gum Minis
South Carolina

TheGoatMan

• New to fourm -0- posts
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »
I Read in a magizne about a big show in kuntucky but i'm not sure about specifics.
wish i had obershaulsies 8 bufforpingtons 5 newhamps 5 blackaustrolorps 2 dogs 5 cats

Double C

• Intermediate Poster
    • Double C Exotics
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
We have three spotted  mini donkeys and there great. They really are low maintenance other than there hoof trimming and I do that myself. As far as the noise  its really not that bad a bray here and there mostly when our Jack losses track of his girls . As for dogs and donkeys , I cant speak for the full size version but as for the miniís if they know the dog is supposed to be there then they get along fine . If a strange doge comes around even the miniís have no problem sending him packing .

Good luck and if you get your mini Donkeys Im sure youíll love um

www.doublecexotics.com
email  info@doublecexotics.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 07:10:49 PM »
Very cute.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

RedStickLA

• Mega Poster
  • Sandi
    • Bayou Country Nigerians
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2010, 09:04:44 PM »
Awwww they are too CUTE!!!  :loveface:
Mitzi
Bayou Country Nigerians
www.bayoucountrynigerians.com
Greenwell Springs, Louisiana