Author Topic: Critique  (Read 4144 times)

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
Critique
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:57:16 PM »
I know the photos are crappy - but do you see anything you don't like here?  6 y/o gelding, grade...remember I ride hunters...pleasure only these days.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
Re: Critique
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:58:20 PM »
You know, I see spots and my heart takes the reins (used to be an App breeder, low scale)...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:30:00 PM »
Are his legs straight, it's hard to tell from the pictures, and what about his back legs, are they posty and/or cow hocked? I would love to see him without a saddle/pad.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:37:06 PM »
A little cow hocked doesn't bother me.  I don't think he's over at the knee, but won't know until I get some better pics.  I have asked for a photo w/o tack.  Looks a little straight shouldered...won't know if that affects his smoothness til I get on board.  Maybe long in the back, which makes him a little camped out behind...?

My main issue is training...I'm considering a trade on this horse with my QH mare, who is still green-green-green (and I don't like her temperament, we never meshed).  I will be loosing investment, but if he's well broken...that's worth more to me at the present time.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 11:44:29 PM »
He is tacked western, how behind the bit do you think he is?
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:59:33 AM »
Looks kinda like my horse Rain and he is a wonderful horse...got to love those spots...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:36:49 AM »
New pics this am...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »
Lovely, well he is certainly worth a ride or two. I don't know how it is where you are, but out here, you almost need quiet halter quality horse to win in the Hunter Over Fences class.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »
Around here, unless you're in the pony circuit, you can forget placing on an App.  TBs even are in the minority.  They're looking for WP type QHs and Paints in the hunters - long, low and boring.  They jump splinter bellied and you almost think they'll not get those fores up fast enough to avoid doing a front roll over the fence.  <<falls asleep watching flat classes>>

Really, I'm in it for pleasure until the kids get into school...so I'm not going to fuss too much over little details.  Anyway, he's grade, so I'd only be in it for the fun of things if I did ever get to a show!  I just want a pleasureable hack around the ring, followed by a calming trail ride...I need some good horse therapy!
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »
I like him.  And there's nothing better than saddling up and going out for a nice ride to calm your brain.  Great therapy.  I miss that part of having horses.  But the goats do a pretty good job, too. 
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »
"I don't think he's over at the knee,.."
What does that mean Kate?

He's real pretty Kate. My husband likes the App(sp) breed. I think those are his fav's. He also likes a horse to be high spirited and fast!!

IF you get him, let us know!! What is his name?

Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 01:21:54 PM »
If you look at the first pics, drop a line down his forelegs...the pics sort of make it look like the cannon bone is 'behind" the knee.  It's a serious fault, causing soundness issues in all horses but esp horses that are asked for athletic performance (like jumping).  The new pics...I think he has more slope to his fore pasterns than I'd like, but it's better than upright pasterns...so I'll just have to evaluate him in person.  None of the pics are really good for a solid critique.

They call him Traveler. 

LOL Jenny my mare would be perfect for your hubby haha...she has spirit that's for sure and 6th gear!  Our other gelding, Talker...he's the fastest horse around (pony, actually)...that little booger can RUN (Ben loves that about him haha too).  We've put him up against speed event horses...and he always wins because he WANTS to.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
Thanks Kate,  I get what you are talking about now. Horse terminology is a little different,...LOL.

Yes, that high spirit!! Must be a man thing to love the speed and spirit.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."