Author Topic: I am not ready yet but...........  (Read 4803 times)

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
I am not ready yet but...........
« on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:32 PM »
I will be looking for a Welsh Cob pony for my daughter. I want one already broke for a child. I prefer western but don't mind if it is both. Does nayone know were I could begin looking for one? I could get a ton of horese free but I am just not impressed with certain types of horses and want something strong and sturdy. I love the draft breeds and will probally be looking for something for my self when I go looking for my daughter. I just need a place to start. Thank you.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: I am not ready yet but...........
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 03:13:32 PM »
I would buy her a full sized horse, probably a 14.2hh Quarter Horse gelding if I was buying, and I would look for a 10+ year old horse that was well trained. Ponys can be too much for kids to handle, and they tend to be sweet/full of themselves, and require adult intervention. Yes that are some good ones out there, but there are more problems in the ponys.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »
I agree.  We've had both, and the kids could climb all over and under the gelding, but there would be days when the pony would decide to sideswipe one of the kids off on a barbed wire fence, if he didn't buck him off first.  And this was the really docile pony.
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:37:09 AM »
Yep I have rode for years and have been hurt more from a pony with a temper than any horse I have been on. Shetlands are the worse most times. My grandsons love our big horses and they did like the Mini horse we had but she could be tempermental also. I would maybe look into a Halflinger...they are stocky and well built and good sturdy horses. JMO
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 12:37:09 PM »
I have owned horses before, we even had a pony that was a total brat. I had heard that the Welsh Cobs were of a better temperment. I learned to ride on a Halflinger and he was the most stuborn horse I have ever met. My first horse was a 14.2 Mustang and he was the perfect size for my daughter but she loved to ride our 18.2 Draft/quarter mare. I would never buy a mini or shetland. I have had appolossas, mustangs, quarter horses, a pony, American saddlebreds and the big horses.

At the auction here a few weeks ago they had 10 shetlands that they could not even sell for 2.50. That is real sad. I have people offering me free horses but I get nervous about that because I am afraid that there might be something wrong with the horse. I just don't know what to do at this point. We are not ready to bring a horse home yet, we are just looking. These days you can get a horse so cheap and from anywere that we are being very cautious about getting a horse.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:47:13 PM »
I've only ridden one Welsh, and he was a HANDFUL. I find that the smaller the animal, the faster they can jump out from under you-a big concern when a child is learning to have a seat and build confidence.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »
Yep, I had a pony and he was a brat with a capital B!!! He really was more suited for an adult who is experienced. Unfortunately, my husband looked kind-a funny out there riding the booger,...LOL.  :hehe:
If I were to do it again, I'd either get a miniature for fun(cuteness factor), or get an old regular sized horse that was well trained. I don't want to feed and pay for trimmings on something we can't really enjoy.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »
 :lmao3:  That sure would look funny. My legs are so long that they drag on the ground when I ride anything less then15 hands.

How about a piant/pinto? How is their personality? I was just offered one from someone and I love the way they look but never had one.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »
Paints and Pintos are colors, their temperament would depend on their base breed.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 10:28:43 AM »
I agree with Nic there as its just a color and it just depends on the horse. If you go to see it and tell them you are going to be there are say 2 then show up 1 hr early to make sure they are working him/her to where they will be tired and very easy to work with...Some do this so they can get rid of a animal that is hrd to take care of...just thought I would let you know. I have a Paint and he is a sweety...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 09:30:51 PM »
I bought a horse once that was a real darling in the pen. She was neck reined and did not even need much direction. Just an easy ride. I took her home and the next morning the drugs wore off. Boy what a different horse she was the next day. Two weeks later we called a rescue shelter to come and get her. They had to put her down she was so terrible.

Our pastor was thrown from his horse this weekend and fractured his L2 and tail bone and seperated his hip bones. It makes me want to say no way to my daughter.

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 10:20:43 PM »
Wow, that was some experience.  But, accidents can happen anytime.  I can't count the number of times I've been thrown.  Once was during a nice ride home on a new horse and it spooked at a rabbit ... I had gravel burns up and down my left side.  My fault as I knew he was a young horse that hadn't been out much and I wasn't paying attention.  The other was on one of my show Quarter Horses that, outside the ring, was scared of his shadow.  We were riding in a cornfield and when we got to a clearing, he spooked (I was bareback) and I landed on the ground with him looking down at me like, "Whatcha doing down there!"  Again my fault as I wasn't paying attention to his body language as we got to that clearing.  Once I was riding in the grand entry parade at a rodeo and that horse broke my nose.  My fault again, as he was rigged up for the barrel race and I lifted the short reins up as I was bending over him and his head hit mine.  Red blood on a white show outfit isn't pretty.  But I wouldn't have traded those ten years riding and showing horses for anything.   Once you get bitten by the "horse" bug, it stays with you for life. 
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 04:09:15 PM »
I know that, I want to go riding all the time but don't have a horse. I just hope to find good horses for us.

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 11:29:31 AM »
Just keep looking it will hit you when you find the right 1...trust you gut feellings and they will help alot...I do..
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 12:46:16 PM »
Thanks. I will. Prayer helps a lot as well. The rite horse is out there and the good Lord will lead me to it just when I need it.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »
Orrrrrrrrrrrr He'll lead you to the one who will teach you a lesson. Do you have a friend locally that is well versed in horses? Or even a trainer who would be willing to "look under the hood" for you, perhaps for a small fee? It could literally save your daughters life.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

chickenlady

• Mega Poster
  • Come and play with me
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
A lesson-I have been there. We live in cattle country were everyone is a horse "expert". We have trainers all around us that would probally help for a fee. I know the value in their help. I think though that I might be better off getting someone who is not from around here. To many family ties.