Author Topic: Look what's on my kitchen floor  (Read 12767 times)

prck

• Intermediate Poster
Look what's on my kitchen floor
« on: March 02, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Our first calf was born today to a heifer that was too young to breed last year so being the first one to go didn't have any one to watch with what happens after birth.  The calf was about three hours old when I found it, was very muddy and had not been licked at all.  Mom was just lounging there next to him.  I brought him up to the barn and she followed, was going to put them both in but she took off and would not come back up.  So took him home gave him a quick towel bath with warm water to get the mud off, toweled him with two of my bath towels and then decided to bring him in the house.  Too cold outside.  Of course, Larry isn't here and this is not at all what he would have done.  He would have got her in the barn with the baby and left them.  I think he would have had a dead calf by morning (he still might) but not from a lack of trying.  Don't get me wrong, he hates to lose calves, but won't bottle feed.  BUT I WILL.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
Re: Look what's on my kitchen floor
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »
 :lmao3: What we do for our animals. Sean would have a cow himself if I brought a calf in.  :lmao3:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »
I know, Larry has only ever done it long enough to clean it up, then right back out to mom, but usually mom hasn't rejected it, it is because the weather is back and the calf is freezing.  We will see what hits the fan when he gets home.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:33 PM »
Hey you do what you have to do to save them. I would do the same thing.
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

spotted in life

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 10:57:44 PM »
Been there done that, not looking forward to the heifers we have calving-here's hoping for some brains in the bunch. I'd have that cow up to the barn, into a head catch if you have one or a chute, and get that baby up to her and some warm milk into it asap. In place of a head catch, we've roped the head, tied it off and then put a loop on a back leg and pulled it back and brought the calf up to it and got it to suck.

If its not up by now it is pushing the bounds of saving it, I'd go ahead and tube the little thing and get its guts working and warmed up.

I'm calf watching tonight myself, but luckily its a 5 yr.old cow so she's done this before. Hope she holds off till tomorrow so I can move her into the barn. We also need to get the bull into his pasture tomorrow, don't need to meet him at night anymore, and sure don't want the cows re-bred till early June.

Good luck with the calf, sure hope he makes it. My bathtube has saved several of the little cuties with this nasty MN springs.
Philipians 4:13
A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education."

President Theodore Roosevelt

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »
Tried to get the cow to the barn, failed.  I've been giving it a bottle and it has had a little down its throat.  But I really can't do much else than that till Larry gets home.  I'm afraid the cows are his call.  I will keep it and bottle feed it, but he has to say it is okay.  The cows are his and I have to abide by his decisions on them. 
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »
 :clap: Good job finding it and getting it warm, hope he makes it.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:33:23 AM »
I have been there lots of times and sometimes you dont win...You got to get its temp up and then feed it colostrum. I got lucky as we had a milk cow and I gave mine cows milk...with calves it can get pricy buying milk. Bottle fed a jersey bull calf last year and he is going strong...Good luck and I hope it makes it...when teh core temp gets to low its so hard to bring it back up...Good luck...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:31 AM »
It is 10:30 pm.  This all started about 5:45 pm.  He finally stopped shivering and has been up several times on his own, can't quite stay up though.  He has very long legs so has stretched out since I brought him in.  Unfortunately don't have colostrum since Larry doesn't usually bring calves in.  The little guy has had about a half cup of baby goat milk.  That is the only thing I have.  In the morning we will get mom to barn and go from there.  If she won't take him, will go to town and get what he needs.  Larry said it could stay in the kitchen tonight, unless he gets up and starts breaking things, then he can go into one of the goat birthing pens till morning.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

Veesha

• my husband and me
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:45:15 AM »
Just a note here... probably something you already know... but I have raised better calves on goat milk than I ever did on calf milk replacer. They do "OK" on the replacer, but mine have thrived on goat milk.
Farm/Feedlot
Black Angus Cattle
1 amazing Husband
7 great kids
15 Nubian goats
1 Jersey Milk Cow
dogs
chickens, geese, turkeys, ducks &
a spoiled paint mare

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:05:09 AM »
You have only about 12 to 24 hr window for the colostrum and ofter that it is too late. Yes goats milk will work as my jersey bull calf got it and cows milk. But without colostrum you are fighting a uphill battle...Good luck
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 05:49:06 AM »
Nothing I can do about the colostrum if I miss the window.  The first uphill battle was what would hubby's reaction be.  When we went to bed earlier, he did say thank you. 
Now it is 2:30 am and I got up because calf was flopping around trying to stand up.  He is still extremely wobbly.  Second battle will come at daylight when we try to get his mom in the barn and reunite them.  If he doesn't make it, it won't be because someone didn't try.   :bang:
Sounds like he quieted back down, but I don't think I can go back to bed.  Hubby is snoring, and I haven't really been to sleep yet.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

~SimplyBlessed~

• Mega Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »
Praying for your calf....great job trying.
The Good Lord gave you two ends.....one for sitting and one for thinking. Heads you win, tails you lose.

ThunderhillOldAccount

• Mega Poster
    • Thunderhill Nigerians
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 07:53:29 AM »
Good Luck!! He is adorable!!
Robin Kralik
North Alabama
Nigerian Site - http://www.thunderhillfarms.com
Lampwork site - http://www.cherokeeflame.com

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 08:34:22 AM »
What a night you've had.   Good luck with your calf.
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:10:39 AM »
I agree Penny that is waht I always say at least I gave it my best...We have all been there at some point in time...  :clap:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
He is so cute ,
I hope he makes it for you
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Veesha

• my husband and me
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 11:10:33 AM »
I agree it's best to get the colostrum, but they can live without it. I have a calf in the pen with my goats that was just dropped in September by one of our feedlot heifers. She was maybe 35 lbs and never even got licked dry, let alone had any colostrum. I just went to feeding her straight goat milk and she has really thrived. Just think of all of the bottle fed human babies that never got any colostrum.... I am not saying it's not best, just pointing out it can work out even without colostrum.
 I have had a devil of a time getting calves over the first day or two hump, only to have their mothers step on or kick and kill them. Now that makes me furious!
Farm/Feedlot
Black Angus Cattle
1 amazing Husband
7 great kids
15 Nubian goats
1 Jersey Milk Cow
dogs
chickens, geese, turkeys, ducks &
a spoiled paint mare

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 11:41:01 AM »
Maybe you can pick up some powdered colostrum at the feed store?  It is cheep and a good thing to have on hand if you are going to raise cattle.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
Yep I get the Quik Start as it dont require trying to give them 2 quarts its I beieve 1 quart or so...been a while but I keep some here just in case and its good stuff.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
I second the powdered colostrum. It is better than nothing. Is that what the quick start is?

Good luck with him.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 02:12:39 PM »
Well, we took him up to reunite with his mom.  She came into the barn fairly easily.  She recognized him, but still would not lick him.  We got her in the stanchion and Larry got her milk going.  He sucked a little, but I fed him this morning and probably shouldn't have, so he was not hungry yet.  We left them to get reacquainted and will go back to try again in an hour.  He is still pretty wobbly and weighs 50 lbs.  Has funny ears so Larry has been calling him Spock.  Larry has had good luck in the past with getting cow and calf to bond.  We shall see, or Bill may end up getting a new pen mate. 
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

SweetGumMinis

• Sweet Gum Minis & Manchas
  • Mega Poster
    • Sweet Gum Minis
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 06:01:55 PM »
He's a handsome little thing. Hope all goes well with your introduction to mom again.
Ashley Capps
Sweet Gum Minis
Nigerian Dwarf Dairy Goats
Taking reservations for 2010 kids!
South Carolina

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 09:17:30 PM »
So far not having much luck with the feeding.  Larry is milking the cow as I type to give that to him.  So at least he will have had something from his mom in the first 24 hours.  Larry will probable try all day tomorrow, too, bless his heart, before he gives up and brings him to the goat building.  The little guy is still pretty wobbly.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
Had another calf today,  Had to pull it after its front end was born.  Got a new bull last year, hope he isn't throwing heavy calves, got about 21 cows to go.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2009, 08:02:37 PM »
:congrats3: Good save.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2009, 09:31:14 PM »
Thanks,  just got in from evening chores.  aNew calf is doing okay with the herd.  The first calf is in the barn with mom.  If we get the calf up and pointed in the right direction he will go to mom and take care of feeding himself and she lets him.  We will keep them in the barn until he is stronger, he is still pretty wobbly.  Larry just went to a friend's to help with a cow there having a breech.  He was afraid when he talked to me about it that the calf might already be dead.  This friend has lost 2 other calves already this year.  I love all these babies, but this makes for very long days. 

Thanks for putting me in the right place Nic.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
Congrats on another good save. I am glad the heifer took him back. That sure takes a load off.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:52 PM »
If the calf was here I would give him BoSE, it can work miracles.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats