Author Topic: Holstein calf question  (Read 3793 times)

mychocolabs

Holstein calf question
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:02:40 PM »
We recently got 4 holstein bull calves, they are just over 2 weeks old and we are bottle/pail feeding them, and I have noticed on 2 of them that they are loosing their hair on their outer hind left leg, I am not finding any hair in the pen.  What could possibly be the cause of this????

Also I have noticed blood in the stool of one of the boys, any ideas as to what would cause this??  (I am not sure which one of the boys this is from as they are all in the same pen, they came from the same farm at the same time)  We have gotten calves from the same place previously and they are all doing fine they are roughly 1.5 months olds.

Thanks for any help!!!!!

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: Holstein calf question
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 12:50:30 AM »
Well hair loss is basically due to they need some vitamins, and might be low on the copper. I would give them a small copper bolus and make sure they have a mineral bloc with copper in it. The blood can be many thing like cocci or worms...yes they can be born with worms and it can cause this type of problem. It sounds like they need a cocci treatment and wormed. That is what I would do and you can add the meds for cocci to their bottle or pail. I would get some pour on wormer to treat for worms. Thats what I would do. and this is what I did with my jersey bull calf when he did this.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27