Author Topic: Hard to describe rabbit question  (Read 5063 times)

New Goat Ma

Hard to describe rabbit question
« on: July 23, 2008, 03:30:00 AM »
This problem is very difficult to explain, but I'll try.  We recently purchased a female Netherland dwarf rabbit to keep our other neutered male rabbit company.  She is about 2 mos. old.  While I was checking to make sure "she" was a "she" and not a "he", I noticed a black substance near her bottom.  It appears that she has two pieces of skin, one of each side, that are transparent (thin), and run between her vaginal opening and her anal opening.  They appear to have stool in them from time to time.  When I first discovered it,  I pushed lightly on the dark substance and it evidently went through to her anal opening and stool came out.  It was really weird!  I'm thinking that this is something that didn't close off somehow and am wondering if it will, since the areas of skin are quite thin and transparent.  She seems to be fine --- eating, peeing, pooping, etc., but I'm wondering if I should take her to the vet and have it checked.  We've had her about two weeks and nothing has changed. 

After a slow introduction period, we now allow both rabbits to be together and they are doing great.  She'll groom him and he'll groom her, and they seem to reallly like one another.  We still plan to spay her, but wondered if we should have this condition checked before then.  I was going to spay her at 6 mos.  Is that a good age for such a small rabbit?

Thanks for any help/advice you folks can give us.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Hard to describe rabbit question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:01:34 AM »
When in doubt, I would call the vet.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »
Sounds like you are referring to the inguinal glands. They are scent marking glands. Nothing to worry about. You can check them every so often to make sure they are not infected, but the brown stuff you saw is normal.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

New Goat Ma

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:20:48 PM »
Well, I can see two tiny bumps, one on each side now, but the skin part appears to be drying up and going away.  So I think that it's the glands I see now.  Thanks for the help.  It's appreciated!

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »
You're welcome.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."