Author Topic: Questions on cattle!?  (Read 107065 times)

Meshale

• Victorian Hill Farms
  • Mega Poster
Questions on cattle!?
« on: May 20, 2008, 06:59:08 PM »
Ok guys a new realm for me!..LOL...I have a 3 week old bull calf....ok i guess he is a steer..LOL....i need to know how much and how often he should be getting milk.....what kinda feed he needs......how long should he be on a bottle......what about shots????....and oh ya can i disbud him like i do with the goats???..LOL....
Victorian Hill Farm home of: Nigerian Dwarf and LaMancha Dairy Goats, all ADGA registered, as well as % Grade Boers! 
I am also now making my own goat milk soaps and lotions!
We are located in Carthage, Missouri
www.victorianhillfarms.com
www.midamericagoatdays.net
Michelle Logan

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: Questions on cattle!?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 07:06:46 PM »
Well first off you only need to feed him 3 times a day ...that is what I feed Norman...Yes you can disbud him but it is better to do it when they are younger and you will need a bigger disbudding iron...prefferabley 1 for calves or cows. Teh type with a bigger area. I give Norman 2 quarts in his bottle 3 times a day and am in the prosess of weaning him to 2 a day. Has he been cut yet? or steered? I havent given Norman shots yet but he will need a Blackleg shot before he is 6 mths old. Also dont play rough with him or he will hurt ya...  :congrats2:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:57 AM »
Cathy, while we are on the topic, I have always heard about people "sawing off horns" of cattle. Kind-of confusing to me, don't they grow horns with sinuses and blood veins just like goats?
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
Yep you can see into the sinus cavity just like when you dehorn a goat that is older....some vets sew it up and some dont...most now a days us a dehorning tool that looks like tree pruners   still mean and bloody ...We had to have 1 done as she got her horn broke when she went to see a bull...yep it was a mess and had to spray it each day till it scabbed over and closed up...Its best if you are going to do this to do it when they are young and easier to hold onto.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:34:43 AM »
Thanks Kathy, I thought maybe that's how that was, but I wondered in the back of my head why people would saw them off knowing it's tramatic. So you can burn the buds with an iron, just like we do goats, right?
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 01:30:09 AM »
Yep that is what I am going to do tomorrow on Norman...dont want a Jersey bull with horns and my other bull is polled...not a fair fight and I dont like horns on cattle as its very dangerous and not worth the hassle...Yep Normans are just to where I can feel them good so got to do the Deed and its going to Break my heart ...but will have his bottle there after we get it done and he should be fine...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 10:44:23 AM »
Kathy you have had Norman a while,
do cow horns grow slower than goat horns ?
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 02:06:29 PM »
Yes they do grow slower than goats. With goats you have to do them so much sooner and Normans havent even budded out yet, and he is almost 2 mths old but you can feel them under the sking. Just got to have a disbudding iron that is larger enough for the bud. Goat disbudding tip is just to small so have to have the bigger 1. Also I was waiting to see if maybe he was polled and Nope he isnt... Also you can usually tell by the shape of their heads too but his is so flat and now I feel the buds. So bye bye horns...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Kris S.

• New to fourm -0- posts
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »
Hello, I just joined and was looking through the different topics and saw this one. Since I also have calves that I am bucket feeding and soon to be weening, I have lots of questions. I have a 10 week old heifer and 7 week old bull. They are both red angus. I got them both as very newborns. I feed them goat milk straight from the goats twice a day. They only get a half gallon each time. I would like to start weaning in the next few weeks, so I guess I will just gradually give them less at a time, then go to once a day, then stop?
     Another thing is bull or steer? I'd like to keep him a bull so I could breed them later, but don't really know if I should do that. There are plenty of neighbors around who have bulls. I've heard bulls grow faster? Since he will end up in the freezer anyway...
     And then there's the blackleg thing. Is it more prevalent in certain areas or should I go ahead and give it to him? I did have a neighbor about 3 miles from here that lost one to that. So I really should probably be concerned.
     I have been feeding them a calf starter from the co-op for several weeks now and hay. They are both probably at least close to 200 lbs. At least it feels like it when they're stepping on my feet!   
     They are in the back of our property with the goats now    but will soon be in the pasture with sheep when they are weaned .
      I live in Ga. near Chatt. Tn. My name is Kris.
Outback Farm: Home to Lamancha dairy goats, 1 Nubian, 2 calves, 4 pigs, 2 ewes and LOTS of poultry. And a few grandkids running around

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 11:39:57 AM »
Hello, I raise cattle also and I band my bull calves at 6 mths, but I have a squeeze chute to do this in and if you dont have 1 then you either need to band him earlier or take to vet to have it done. Yes you need to do this if he is going to end up in the freezer. I give mine their blackleg shots when I band them as it usually is better to do this when they are younger. I wean my calves off the bottle by giving less each day but make sure they are drinking water well and eating grain and hay well also.
Its so much easier to keep a steer than a bull and easier to take the cow to the bull and not have to feed 1. I have a bull but they have about 100 acres to roam on and he dont have any competition. Bulls tear up your fences . I'm not sure if the only cattle you have is just these 2 but if it is then steer him and use the neighbors bull. I wouldnt put them with sheep as cattle require more copper than sheep. The goats require copper where sheep if they get to much its fatal. better off with the goats.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

prck

• Intermediate Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
Hi Kris, we also raise cattle.  Right now we have 10 little bulls that will be weaned in November and feedlotted through the winter to take to the sale in March.  Usually we castrate within two weeks of birth when we tag them.  This year because births were so spread out we haven't done it yet.  Most of these guys were born in March.  We will have the vet do it in October when the flies become less of a problem.  We haven't had much difference in the growth rate between steers and bulls.  Some people think the beef is stronger when he butchered as a bull versus steer.  Also bulls tend to look for lady cows.  And sometimes even when they have ladies already.  Steers are much more docile and not usually worth the headache if you have breeding bulls available elsewhere.
Penny R.C. Kuhnert
Kuhnert Family Farm
Denton, Kansas