Author Topic: Maggie the cow has watery scours  (Read 60427 times)

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Maggie the cow has watery scours
« on: May 01, 2008, 05:50:46 PM »
OK this is a first for me. I am used to calves having scours but this morning after milking Maggie didnt finish her breakfast and then let loos with some watery scours...almost like it was green water and not much of a smell either. She has access to hay, grass and was wormed 3 days ago. She has loose minerals and plenty of water. She is fed range cubes, alfafa pellets and sweet feed 2x a day. I know with calves you need to give the electrolytes. I dont think she will let me drench her at al. I could possibly give her a bolus. I do have Diaque but is says for calves, pigs and foals. I thought this might be e-coli or something else. I could sprinkle the Diaque on her feed if it will help. She isnt a mean cow but have never had to stick anything down her throat either. thanks
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Maggie the cow has watery scours
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 06:32:21 PM »
I would us the Diaqur on her feed, and try to back off the grain a bit. You might also look at a tetracycline type drug/or a DiMethox 40% shot, that may help as well.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:20:13 PM »
ok I was going to put it on her feed to see if it would help it helped Norman when he had the watery scours also. thanks Nic
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

sanderterry2

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:26:57 AM »
Hope you can get a handle on it, Kathy.   :hug2_202:
Sandie                                                              Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Member of NDGA, AGS
sanderterry@gmail.com
www.lilhillfarm.com

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 10:38:39 AM »
I hope she gets better.
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:48:21 AM »
Do you have the spring time rapid grass growth going on right now? Maybe had a freeze overnight the day before scouring?
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 10:57:01 AM »
Made a call into the vet and he called me back. He seems to think its Salmonella, I have to go get some antibiotic today and start to treat her with it. He said if I use NuFlor I would have to wait 60 days on her milk and with I think its Execenel there isnt any wait on it. We dont drink it as I have been feeding it to Norman. Last night her appetite wasnt good as she didnt want her supper feeding at all.No intrest in food and that isnt my Maggie...she is a chow hound.I keep High Mag loose minerals out for the new grass problems and he also wants to test her for Johne's too. So that means I have to draw blood on her...Pray for me as this I havent done on something this big....
I just hope this medication will take care of it and its not Johne's...I will let everyone know what is going on when I know...Thanks
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 11:09:01 AM »
I'll keep a prayer in mind for you Kathy. :hug2_202:
I just had a doe bloat up on frozen pasture. Fine one day, then squirts and lethargy the next. Gave her probios, sav-a-calf and SMZ and she was back to normal stools and appetite the next.
I hate it when I see any odd stools-especially the squirts, just makes me worry and act fast to correct. Darn silly weather is the root of this evil.
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 11:55:36 AM »
I agree ...and Thanks ...she is a sweet cow and dont want to lose her to something that could be treated and overlooked...I watch everything around here and if anything seems off I try my darndest to treat it as fast as I can...thank goodness I have a good vet that will talk cow with me and listen...he knows I know what is going on with my cattle and he is good with them and the horses...not to good with the goats but will let me have whatever I need. Yep thank goodness for Dr Davey...and his wife is a vet too and she is better with goats sometimes...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 01:22:47 AM »
Scary stuff...I hope it turns out well for you.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 10:36:23 AM »
Well the other day I treated her with Diaque in her feed. I gave her 2 packets and she didnt seem to interested in it. Well yesterday her poo looked so much better, and her appetite increased. She ate everything we gave her. I am going to give her 2 more today and hope that helps. I have been around cattle all my life and other than the calves doing this...havent seen a cow do it. I have the Excenel in case it hasnt completely stopped to treat her with that but with all the rain and stuff I just wanted to try it and see, The Diaque so far has helped her and its for E-coli and other things and a rehydrater also. We shall see... Thanks everyone  :hug2_202:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

sanderterry2

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
Glad to hear she seems to be coming around for you.  Hang in there! 
Sandie                                                              Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Member of NDGA, AGS
sanderterry@gmail.com
www.lilhillfarm.com

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
 :whoohoo: come on Maggie firm up !!!!!
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 03:01:04 PM »
 :thankyou1:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers