Author Topic: Question about feeding my cows.  (Read 7905 times)

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
Question about feeding my cows.
« on: December 27, 2007, 11:11:07 PM »
Well I found something out about Peanut she is not eatting her soaked alfalfa and beetpulp very well. One of the feeders in the stall I milk the girls in had a small amount of goat feed with quite abit of alfalfa pellets she ate it like she has never eatten before. so I put more alfalfa pellets on her food and she ate those really well. Can I feed both girls dry beetpulp and alfalfa pellets. I think both would eat it allot better. I was worried that not wetting it would be a problem like a horse but I do feed both to my goats dry.  I also have to add Sean got his first cow kiss from peanut tonight.   :lmao3: Big old wet kiss. She was thanking him for giving her a home.  :lololol: 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:48:28 PM by Yorkielover »
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Question about feeding my cows.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 02:21:26 AM »
We feed dry beet pulp to our goats and our stallion, so far so good.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:49:16 AM »
I would try it dry and see if they like it better, I know with my cows they dont like wet feed, they will eat dry range cubes but if they get wet forget it. Just a thought
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »
cows are ruminates so feed it dry  won't hurt at all  the sick calf I raise ate everything I feed the goats  loose grain/beetpulp/alfalfa pellets.
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 04:38:26 PM »
Thank you all. Well I tried the dry feeding and they both really like it I cut the Beetpulp in half and uped the alfalfa pellets. Peanut and Rosie are doing better together. Peanut follows Rosie around and stands right beside her. They had problems with her not getting up in the barn to be milked. I have not had a problem with her laying there and not getting up.  :icon_biggrin: She hears my voice in the field even if she is laying in the stall she gets up and comes to me. She actually has a belly just after a few days. Now to get that on her bones. Her milk went from around half a gallon to alittle more than a gallon.   :icon_eek: Was so not prepared for her to her milk to go up that fast.  :smily961:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 04:57:02 PM »
 :clap: :whoohoo: All that good feed and care really makes a difference!! Hooray for Peanut!!
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007, 05:21:49 PM »
Yep I think my new girl will be just fine. Sean saw her and said he thought I bit of more than I could chew. Pictures really do not show how truely bad she is. Though she is no raving beauty in them. Not much to her. And even I was concerned that I may not beable to help her. I pretty much do not know anything about cows. Kathy explained how their 4 stomachs worked. And gave me allot of great information on what shots to vac to give them. With everyone of you. Peanut has a whole army of caring people on her side to get her where she needs to be.  :hug2_202: So I do not feel so lost. Thank you all. I will be taking a picture of her every three to four weeks to show how she is doing.  :icon_biggrin: 

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007, 07:30:02 PM »
WOW  what and increase in milk!!    :congrats4:
It will take her quite awhile to put meat back on her bones and you may not see alot until she is dry  just like goats.   but  if her milk increased like that you know she is able to digest her food etc.  GOOD JOB
A2Z Dairy Goats
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 08:50:21 PM »
 :grouphugg: Glad to have been of some help as I dont know all ...but with Jerseys they dont put on alot of meat...  :hehe: My girl Maggie eats and it still dont look like she really should but with regular worming and their shots and good food andhay they will be Great...Maggie tried to get in the horse pasture yesterday cause she thinks its time to come in to calf ...she still has almost 3 mths to go ...will be bringing her in soon so she can have alfafa pellets and all her good eats she dearly loves...I cant wait to see what we get from her and I know you cant wait for Rosie too...They have theri babies just like goats but bigger and only 1 possibly 2, but thats the limit as far as I know...arent we lucky there...Good girls Peanut and Rosie for eating all your vittles...  :grouphugg:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45:34 AM »
Well she gave me a scare tonight. I went out to milk her and Rosie and she walked out of the field and in the stall. While I was milking Rosie. Peanut started to act funny digging the ground kicking out her back feet and stretching which then she laid down and was still kicking her feet and moving around got up danced around and laid back down. I knew right away she had a major belly ache or better term Bloat!!! At least the start of it. I thought now what do I do.  :icon_eek: I ran in the house and got my bloat med. And a tube of banamine I gave her some of the banamine. and got her up. I still milked her but she danced around some. Took her out of the barn and walked Her to the house and around the yard. She was so upset with me that when I headed back to the barn with her she started to run. LOL!!! So did I  :smily961: I gave her the Bloat release once she was in her and Rosies stall. She took it like a big girl. I didn't have a bit of problems with it. I sat in there with her and just pet her and gave he lovings after awhile she got up and was acting alot better. I am not sure if I was supposed to give her the Banamine or not. I have no plans on drinking her milk for a while due to the meds she is getting. So I thought Oh well She is hurting. She is better now and seems to be feeling better. We are not going to grain her in the morning. Just hay. then cut her feed in half and gradually bring her up to what she can handle. She is getting way less than Rosie already. I did not realize she would get a belly ache with the amount we feed her.  :icon_frown: I really think I caught it when it started. Thank goodness. I have gotten quite attached to my little girl. And would feel awful if something would happen to her. 

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2007, 01:14:38 AM »
What a scare, good for you taking care of it so quickly. Yep, they can get a belly ache just like the other critters.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2007, 02:51:44 AM »
yep   now the alfalfa pellets shouldn't do it  I wouldn't think but is always best to go at it slow with anything.  Sure glad you were there and caught it quick.
A2Z Dairy Goats
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »
Peanut is doing fine this morning. I can tell no feed this morning is bothering her. But she has all the hay she wants so. She will just have to wait until tonight. Poor girl. I feel bad but do not want to take any chances.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 01:28:01 PM »
Deanna, I would give her a little, not her normal ration, but a little should satisfy her.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

msscamp

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 12:45:42 AM »
Well she gave me a scare tonight. I went out to milk her and Rosie and she walked out of the field and in the stall. While I was milking Rosie. Peanut started to act funny digging the ground kicking out her back feet and stretching which then she laid down and was still kicking her feet and moving around got up danced around and laid back down. I knew right away she had a major belly ache or better term Bloat!!!

Yorkie, what kind of field is Peanut and Rosie grazing?  Where are you located?   

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 02:08:17 AM »
 We are located in Pa. Its just field grass and weeds. They really do not go down in the field unless I put them down there. They much rather stay up by the barn or in the barn.  :icon_biggrin: