Author Topic: 20 down and 5 to go  (Read 4080 times)

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
20 down and 5 to go
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:12:56 AM »
Well yesterday we took 14 mixed steers and heifers and 6 cows to the sale...Well they were sold today and it sure looks different out in the back pasture and in the steer pasture....The older cows went because some were getting old and I mean they were at least 18 or more in age...and then some had problems...the others were what we culled out and we kept 3 steers forthe spring...and 3 heifers to add to the herd...they wont be able to go out to the back till they are 15 mths old...I dont let my babies get bred till then...We still have at least 5 more to take but it got dark and I was wore out...sure was hard trying to walk around after doing what I call the cutting horse shuffle to get them all arranged to get them loaded...  :whoohoo: that now leaves me to winter maybe 24 plus the bull ...not bad considering what we wintered last year and was shorter on hay then than we are this year...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 09:57:51 AM by Chaty »
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
Re: 20 down and 5 to go
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:32:01 AM »
good for you. Do you use your horses to gather up the cows ?
Or just you shuffling them around?
you paint some funny pictures sometimes girl .  :hug2_202:
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:56:22 AM »
Well if I had to I could use my Painthorse Hawk but didnt have to the tractor brings them running into the feed area...then I proceed to separate them as to which 1's I want to take...It gets real interesting when its time to do this as DIL helps too...Thomas was down also to help but we put his little self in the tractor...had 1 calf that was psycho and she would hurt you so I didnt want him out in the mess. After we get them all caught then all we have to do is load them in the trailor...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 09:57:46 PM »
Sound like you had your hands full.  :icon_eek: Thats allot of cows to move out I bet it really really looks different with out all those extras. Hope you got what you wanted out of them. I do not no how you do it. With all the work and critters you have on the farm.  :icon_biggrin: 
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 01:31:15 AM »
 :smily961: Well it sure will make it easier this winter thats for sure... I didnt realize just how many were out there till I got to looking and Man can they multiply almost as fast as goats...well not as fast but they sure get big quick...and they were getting bigger and pocketbook was gettiing smaller...  :hehe: well at least now I can rest before the new calves start getting here...I only have 2 yearlings that will be FF this year...Wheeww talk about watching them...Yep got about 5 more to take and then really relax...Yep it is kinda sparce out there now and will be even more after we take the last 5...It was really my fault that I let us get so many ...Then on the way home after it was getting dark we came up on 4 steers that had gotten out...talk about scarey thank goodness we were watching and saw them and honked and they went right back in their field and I closed their gate...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 07:18:36 PM »
 :smily961:  Human as cutting horse!  I'm cracked up!  I can just see it in my mind's eye, too!
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:44:19 PM »
Yep it was kinda funny and I am paying for it too...another Chiro trip is due soon...but my friend that was helping me got crapped on all the way down her leg...I didnt get that much on me at all just a few splats...  :LaughOhStop: Yep my Paint sure was wanting in the corral to help but cant saddle him just yet as the other gelding bit him on the back and dont want a really big saddle sore ...he sure wanted in the trailor also...so funny he just loves to go BYE BYE...Got to love my Hawk man ...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:47:05 PM by Chaty »
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers