Author Topic: nd goats and mini donkeys  (Read 12280 times)

greif

• New to fourm -0- posts
nd goats and mini donkeys
« on: October 28, 2007, 03:58:27 PM »
could nd goats and mini donkeys be put together?  is there much care for mini donkeys?
thanks

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: nd goats and mini donkeys
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 04:07:09 PM »
Donkeys and goats do not (in general) make good pasture companions. Donkeys tend to stomp the goats to death.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 11:17:33 AM »
Especially with the Mini's  all I have heard  is that that can be real mean and bite etc etc etc.  I wouldn't myself
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

GrullaBlue

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • Glacier Ridge Website
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 11:49:31 PM »
I have two mini donkeys in with my two pygmy goats.  I've also had mini horses in with my goats....never had a problem.  They are all living peacefully together, eating together, sharing the barn, etc.  Goats can chew on manes and tails, I hear, but I've not had that problem.  Mini donkeys don't take much care, really, they don't eat a whole lot compared to a regular sized horse, like attention, and really should have a donkey friend.  They need vaccinations, wormings and hoof trims just like a horse.  Shelter from the wind and rain, etc.  I love having donkeys!

Angie
www.glacierridge.com

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:54:18 PM »
I guess if you find a mini donk that was raised with goats,  you'd probably be fine.  I was keeping our Mini Horse in with the goats...but he decided they were soccer balls.  We still let him in there to romp once in a blue moon, but keep him herded away from the goats.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 03:17:53 PM »
That is the thing, any time you mix various sizes of animals you run the risk of the smaller ones getting hurt. We have a member who used a donkey with her goats, UNTIL it killed several, and then the donkey had to be moved too its own pen. IF you are running goats with donkey/horses, please construct a pen that is two rails high, and at least 40' x 40' in a corner of the pasture, complete with shelter. That way when the horses/donkeys/big goats decide it is fun to chase the little ones, at least they will have a safe space in which to escape. BUT, I have to tell you, I tried the corner pen, and the horse still managed to catch one of the goats when it was in the pasture. The moral of the story is, if the big animal means harm to the little one, the little one will loose. It is kind of like being an elephant trainer, you are little, you carry a big stick, and if and when the elephant means you harm, you are helpless.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 03:43:00 PM »
Agreed.  Just isn't worth the risk.  Equids are good with their hooves! 
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 06:33:20 PM »
Yep and have excellent aim too...I have a jack donkey and he isnt allowed in with anything...he hates dogs and even cattle ...he stays by himself as he ran some calves thru the fence and thats when we separated him from the others....He is right by the horses and gets along good with them as long as there is a fence between them. Good luck ...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Snowball

• Platinum Stables Miniature Horses
    • http://www.minihorses.biz
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 09:40:37 AM »
It is rare when a goatie and a miniature horse like each other enough to allow the idea to pen together, but an escape from that pen should always be provided for the goat.
I myself have only seen one case where a mini mare tolerated my buckling and they exchanged scratches in the same pen where I kept her. I kept an escape pen, preparred in the same lot- for a get away for him to stay in, but he preferred her company insted.
The mare was at my place to breed, and her stay lasted about a month..
Come to find out the owner of the mare "had raised her with goats" since she was a baby. 
Those two were a "rare case" and became inseperatable durring that time.
On the flip side of the coin, I have seen the little goats get on the nerves of the minis and get furiously suddenly chased off, in the same area, so not an advisable situtation.
The only time I put mine together now is when I have ample pasture,and space, in the summer time, and they are in a hugh area, grazing and each is minding their own business.
Mary Hyduck
Queen Creek, Ariz.
Platinum Stables.
www.minihorses.biz
Registered Miniature Horses
NGA /NDGA Show and Pet Quality,- blue-eyed, colorful, Nigerian Dwarf Goats
E-mail mary@futons.net