Author Topic: UPDATE on the Calfs!!!  (Read 8309 times)

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
UPDATE on the Calfs!!!
« on: September 20, 2007, 11:26:16 PM »
Okay I am really getting disgusted about these calfs. They are on half Calf manna replacer and half cows milk. Sean the bigger one is on 2 1/2 pints twice a day and John the little one is on 2 pints twice a day they been getting Terimiacin in there bottle twice a day Probios twice a day and electrolites twice a day. Their poop is now a darker yellow color and it at times is like water. I know nothing about Calfs and do not know much more I can do for the little guys. They have had a B12 shot and I wormed them today with Ivemec plus. Nic I boil the water I make their replacer with. I have hit a brick wall and have no clue what else to do. I have tried to find information on the internet but am not having much luck. I could call the vet but feel it would be costly to have her come to see them. And due to paying for our hay bill money is a little short at the moment. Thanks   
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 12:51:13 AM by Yorkielover »
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Need help with the Calfs!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 11:48:04 PM »
Take cows milk home from the dairy for a week or two, and you should be fine. My guess is you don't have an ecoli problem as much as a milk replacement issue. And if you can do it, feed the 3-4 times a day, cattle are like goats, they overflow their feed (when they eat too much at once) and give themselves the trots.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 11:58:08 PM »
Nic the cows are already at our house. I will try the smaller 3 to four times a day. and see how that works I may make one of their feedings just a water and electrolite mix due to keeping them from getting dehydrated. They do drink out of the water bucket in their stall but only very small amounts. Thank you for the info. I feel awful I do not know what to do for the little guys. Yep and this happening just makes me spend more time with the little fellows. LOL!! They sure are cute but I am still not attached enough to keep them as pets.  :hehe:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 12:02:12 AM »
DiQur is available in pouches and works great, you can even mix it with their milk, I think that's where I would start. That way you won't have to do the electrolyte route, because DiQur is electrolytes and calories and other good stuff.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:21:06 AM »
Where can you get the DiQur at ? Tractor Supply carry it or Jeffers so on. Thank you again for the help Nic. The little guys thank you too.  :icon_biggrin:

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 02:12:10 AM »
Yes TSC and Jeffers should both have it.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 10:32:01 AM »
It most likely is the replacer  so dilute it down  before mixing with the cows milk.    I hadthis problem with the calf I saved  I went to straight goats milk and then started in mixing replacer in a little at a time but you have to reduce the replacer more than the lable says.
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 10:48:01 AM »
Sorry Deanna,
Just now reading this post...I agree they should be fed littler amounts more times a day like they are nursing their mothers...and if you cant find what Nic said I would add some Pepto to their bottles...or if you can find them some scour boluses...they have worked for us in the past and I know with mine they get the trots sometimes even on their mothers. I have started using the BarGuard99 for E-coli when they are born and give it to them..It dont sound like e-coli but a overfeed all at 1 time and that usually will give them the trots really bad. their stomachs are small and too much at 1 time will do it..
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »
 :icon_sad: I hope filet and mignon get better for you.
I am sure the bigger they get the less likley they will feel like pets  :hehe:
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 11:14:07 PM »
Thank you all for the info. Sondra I do not mix the replacer like the lable I cut it down already. I was trying to be cheap so I wouldn't have to buy another Bag this is stuff I bought for my goats then found out replacer isn't good for them. So I had it and decided to use it. I have cut their milk feeding into  3 feedings then they get a bottle for a 4th feeding of just electrolites and water due to the fact that they I feel need the little extra because of the poops. At first I do think it was Ecoli all I can say is when they pooped it smelt so bad it made you gag!! Thank you again all. Nic I am running in to Tsc tomarrow so I will look for the  DiQur. :icon_biggrin: Kathy I will give them some pepto tonight until I get to TSC tomarrow.

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
Re: UPDATE on the Calfs!!!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 12:56:03 AM »
Wanted to update all of you on how the boys are doing. I am happy to say that the feeding less and more times aday has payed off  :jumpjoy: They are healthy baby boys and are doing so much better.  :icon_biggrin: Thank you to all that helped with these little guys. It pays to have great friends!!!  :hug2_202: The boys and I are lucky to have you all!!  :ittykiss:

~SimplyBlessed~

• Mega Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 01:59:55 AM »
Yay!...Love to hear good reports. 
The Good Lord gave you two ends.....one for sitting and one for thinking.  Heads you win, tails you lose.

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 02:03:25 AM »
GREAT NEWS!!  thanks for the update
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 11:39:19 AM »
 :newclap: :newclap: So glad to hear they are better...Yep welcome to the world of a Momma cow lover...Now with all this work I bet you wont be able to eat them...Hang in there Deanna it gets better and so glad for them too...  :newclap:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 12:08:32 PM »
 :newclap: :newclap: :newclap: Congratulations, and Deanna, are you attached yet? I couldn't do all of this and not be.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

~SimplyBlessed~

• Mega Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 12:13:12 PM »
she's attached....dont let 'er fool ya!   :lololol:   
The Good Lord gave you two ends.....one for sitting and one for thinking.  Heads you win, tails you lose.

Batman

• *Batman*
  • Mega Poster
    • Dicksons Brokenharrow Ranch
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2007, 11:14:43 AM »
NOPE!!!!!!!!!! We gonna eat them  :drool: :drool: :drool:
Home of both Registered and Non-registred nigerians and pygmys and other breeds please visit our website at www.brokenharrowranch.com for more information. Located in PA email brokenharrow@windstream.net

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2007, 05:32:44 PM »
They are adorable but after having to feed the calfs at the milk barn. 30 + of those little buggers.  :hehe: To come home and deal with ours it makes it alittle easier to keep in mind to eat them. Rem they are bulls and I have no plans of having a pet Steer.  :smily961:

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2007, 11:01:48 AM »
 :hehe: Yep just keep saying ..." you will taste good later" its alot of work feeding calves and so easy to get attached too...I dont look them in the eye and dont talk to them either...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers