Author Topic: In Loving Memory  (Read 5397 times)

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
In Loving Memory
« on: June 12, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »
A week ago Monday, I was outside with my kids, my daughter playing on her toddler slide while I held my baby boy. DH and my stepson arrived home from work, and we were greeting them home when I heard my husband utter, with some horror in his voice, "What's wrong with Vickie," as he took off in a dead run for the pasture. The horses, too, had been celebrating them home with a little romp. As I turned my head to see what it was he had seen - I saw my beloved old mare at a dead run, with something bouncing along her flank. It took only a moment to realize what it was, altho I didn't believe what I was seeing. As I ran, baby in my arms, for the pasture, DH yelled for me to call the vet. He caught up with my beautiful mare, hugged her neck and she halted. We then saw in full horror that it was true. Her ceceum and stomach were hanging out of her right flank.

We managed to get her to the front fence line before she finally went down in agony. Unfortunately, when she went down she did it on her right side and ruptured everything, the bleeding began in earnest - but she didn't bleed fast enough. Thirty minutes later when my vet arrived and gawked in horror at the scene (Vickie had been getting up and down and thrashing) she was still conscious and suffering greatly. I screamed for her to work up the last shot and hurry with it...seconds later Vickie's suffering was finally ended.

In her 30 years of practice, my emergency vet had never seen anything like this. The actual wound was no larger than a quarter - how her intestines spilled out is a mystery and seemingly impossible. Freak accident. Still, no comfort to me.

Our area is too dry for burrial, so her body is was picked up the following night.

This is the best horse I've ever had the priviledge of spending time with, my therapist and my friend. I already miss her tremedously.

Miss Vickie Love 1986 - June 4th, 2007
See ya up there, my friend...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: In Loving Memory
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:54:45 PM »
Oh Kate, I am so sorry for your loss, Miss Vickie will no doubt be waiting. Have you figured out how she was injured?
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 12:27:49 AM »
 :tissue: Oh Kate I am so sorry for your loss, I know how you feel and its awful...just reading this brought back memories of Dancer when we had to put her down January a year ago...It broke my heart to do it but had now choice...I do know you will miss her Greatly as I do my Dancer...I tell he "HI" each time I wanlk into the pasture and I know she knew she was loved just like your Miss Vickie Love...again I am sooo Sorry...  :tissue:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

goat dreamin

• Mega Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 12:52:12 AM »
 i am sooo sorry Kate  :tissue:
kate

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »
 :tissue: made me cry just reading this.
Kate so sorry you lost your girl.  :bawling:
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
 :tissue: I am so sorry to hear you lost her. Hugs go out to you and hubby!!!!  :hug2_202:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

NancyGoat

• Mega Poster
    • http://nankins.bravepages.com/index.html
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »
I've grieved a loss of a horse as well, my heart goes out to you, I'm so sorry!
***Nancy Hudson***
**Hudson's Haven**

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
What a terrible tragedy!!   Our heartfelt thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:29:43 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts everyone.

To our best guess, they were running and Vickie may have fallen in front of Marcie, who is a Percheron, and on top of a stick or stone.  If Marcie trampled her accidentally, that would have created enough pressure to cause that injury.  Other than that, we draw a blank.  There are no tell tale signs in the pasture.

Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

~SimplyBlessed~

• Mega Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 07:41:13 PM »
Please know how sorry I am for you and also your family.
My prayer for you is blessings and many great memories.
Hugs,
Vickie
The Good Lord gave you two ends.....one for sitting and one for thinking.  Heads you win, tails you lose.

sanderterry2

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:59:21 AM »
Obviously I missed this post earlier.  I'm so sorry to hear about your horse.  What a terrible tragedy.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. 
Sandie                                                              Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Member of NDGA, AGS
sanderterry@gmail.com
www.lilhillfarm.com