Author Topic: Chuck bought 2 bottle calves today  (Read 4178 times)

fannie

• Otherwise known as "MAMA"
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Sweet Yorkies & Gourmet Bouquet
Chuck bought 2 bottle calves today
« on: May 12, 2007, 10:49:17 PM »
One is a charlois named Brisket and the other is a black angus named T-Bone.  :lololol:

T-Bone looks to have a broken leg. I'm not sure what I can do for it. He runs around just fine. But when he walks he won't walk on it. I haven't even had a chance to really inspect them. He only cost $15 so I guess we'll take a chance with him.

One weighs about 235lbs. the other is around 185lbs. I have no idea how old they are. Said they are bottle calves, so I've got replacer to feed them. I just don't know how much! This is our first time having calves.... so we need to learn quick what we need to do with them!

Because they came from a sale, they have been quarantined, feet dipped and I'm going to give them a shot of antibiotics. Anything else I should do?
Steph
Wife to Chuck

Mama to:
Steven - 10-8-95
Kaitlyn - 12-13-98
Andrew - 3-1-00
Charlie - 6-4-04
Samuel - 3-10-06

Our beautiful Yorkies: http://www.sweetyorkies.com
The best cookies: http://www.gourmet-bouquet.com

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
Re: Chuck bought 2 bottle calves today
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 11:41:35 PM »
LOVE the names. I do not know anything about raising calfs but I wish you all the luck with your new additions !! Kathy should be able to give you lots of info. She really knows her stuff about cows.  :newclap:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:00:09 AM »
I hope you got the calf bottles with the big nipples...I only feed calves 1 2qt bottle when they are small 4 times a day but these sound big to me so I would get some creep feed and see what they do with it ...are they crying for a bottle...I only bottle feed for about 2 to 3 mths and by then they are at 1 or 2 bottles...If they are that big I would just do creep feed and hay ...if its broken you can spling it it will heal...cow bones do when they are young, not older cattle...me personally I would feed them medicated creep for a while to make sure they arent harboring anything...the shot they need are blackleg and tetnus...thats what I give my weaning calves when I wean them...any opther question just catch me on msn and I will help you all I can... Great names  :newclap:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

fannie

• Otherwise known as "MAMA"
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Sweet Yorkies & Gourmet Bouquet
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 01:37:43 AM »
Well they were a little shook up when we first turned them out and headed for the other side of the pasture. We finally got the charlois one cornered and he realized I had a bottle and he took it just fine. So I don't think he had been weaned yet. He's also the smaller one.

Now the black one is pretty wild. He's also the one with the bum leg. I don't think I'll be able to splint it. But after closer inspection I think it will heal on its own. It's definitely broke, but he gets around like it's not even there. We put him in a smaller pen to try to get him to take a bottle and he just went crazy and nearly ran me over. Stepped on my foot. Chuck caught him and I shoved the bottle in his mouth and he was more interested in spitting it out than anything. So I'm guessing that he may have been weaned already.

They are both eating grass. We'll give them grain in the morning and see how they do with it. Chuck is building me a smaller pen to keep them in so I don't have to chase them all over the place. I've got Tetanus on hand and I'll have to get the blackleg vaccine. We were also told to give them a shot for scours. And I can't remember what it was called. I might take off tomorrow and go get everything they need.

Oh, and he paid $200 for the Charlois one and $15 for the angus with the bad leg. He drove and hauled back a load of cows for his friend and he paid him $100. So we got a pretty good deal if we can just keep them alive!
Steph
Wife to Chuck

Mama to:
Steven - 10-8-95
Kaitlyn - 12-13-98
Andrew - 3-1-00
Charlie - 6-4-04
Samuel - 3-10-06

Our beautiful Yorkies: http://www.sweetyorkies.com
The best cookies: http://www.gourmet-bouquet.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
well the black 1 is weaned and when you finish the bag i would wean the other as i just feed till 2 mths...dont pet them or you cant eat them....lol.... I dont pet what I eat...and they will hurt you too ...they dont walk around you but thru you so be careful...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27