Author Topic: I'm wore smooth out...lol  (Read 21671 times)

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
I'm wore smooth out...lol
« on: March 12, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »
Well i just got in from outside freezing my tail off waiting for a cow to calf... :newclap: Yes i know this is a goat place but there isnt a cow place, so everyone gets to hear about my cows too. Well GUESS WHAT??? Its a bull calf... :goodidea: the better to eat them I say and this way I dont have to keep them or sell them, its easier to eat them.... So far its 1 heifer and 5 bulls...i lost a heifer earlier this month, i tried and she just wasnt going to make it...  :bawling: worked my tail off with her too... But this is a big boy and his name is Amos, I still have 2 more to go for a while and then there will be others brought in, and the watch begins again....Its either goats butts I am watching or cow tails...It just never ends here on the farm and I LOVE IT!!!
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Meshale

• Victorian Hill Farms
  • Mega Poster
Re: I'm wore smooth out...lol
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 01:01:35 AM »
Man i'm glad it is you and not me!!...LOL.....i still have 2 weks of rest before it is baby time here again!!!!!.....LOL.....with 5 bulls...you'll be set with meat for a couple yrs!!!..LOL
Victorian Hill Farm home of: Nigerian Dwarf and LaMancha Dairy Goats, all ADGA registered, as well as % Grade Boers! 
I am also now making my own goat milk soaps and lotions!
We are located in Carthage, Missouri
www.victorianhillfarms.com
www.midamericagoatdays.net
Michelle Logan

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 01:04:59 AM »
I do about 1 1/2 a year and they are better than you can buy in the stores too sooooo tender and juicy too, I feed them well and grow for me so nicely . I name them but you dont pet what you want to eat. My sons sell meat to his co-workers in Parsons and they all love it. If you ever watch that movie thats out now Fast Food Nation you will be calling me for meat....  :hehe:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Meshale

• Victorian Hill Farms
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 01:09:28 AM »
LOL...ok i am a bit spoiled.....i told you my grandparents have the dairy..well they also have bout 150 head of beef too!!..LOL....so yep all i know is farm beef and pig...LOL......but not sure i could give them names...well maybe filet??..LMAO
Victorian Hill Farm home of: Nigerian Dwarf and LaMancha Dairy Goats, all ADGA registered, as well as % Grade Boers! 
Michelle Logan

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 01:12:45 AM »
Yep we name thenm just to remember who belongs to whom....  :hehe: nothing better than home grown beef.... YUM YUM
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Meshale

• Victorian Hill Farms
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 01:14:42 AM »
There...you could call one YUM YUM!!!LMAO :smily961:  :smily961:   :smily961:   :smily961:
Michelle Logan

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 01:25:12 AM »
You never know what they will be called before they get to where they are going.....  :hehe: so have names I cant say on here...  :smily961:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

fannie

• Otherwise known as "MAMA"
  • Intermediate Poster
    • Sweet Yorkies & Gourmet Bouquet
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »
LMAO!!!
Steph
Wife to Chuck

Mama to:
Steven - 10-8-95
Kaitlyn - 12-13-98
Andrew - 3-1-00
Charlie - 6-4-04
Samuel - 3-10-06

Our beautiful Yorkies: http://www.sweetyorkies.com
The best cookies: http://www.gourmet-bouquet.com

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 02:52:05 AM »
I'm going to go get 3 jersey bottle calfs to feed out and butcher  jersey because that is all I can find reasonable to get here.
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

vgcarp

• Countrified city girl
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 02:52:28 AM »
LOL...ok i am a bit spoiled.....i told you my grandparents have the dairy..well they also have bout 150 head of beef too!!..LOL....so yep all i know is farm beef and pig...LOL......but not sure i could give them names...well maybe filet??..LMAO

Could start with Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner.  And continue with Appetizer, Maincourse, or Shish-Kebab!   :hehe:
~Veronica~

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP,TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING--- WOW !!  - - - WHAT A RIDE !!!

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
We raise a mexed herd and our bull is a registered Brangus, He is a big boy and can move out if he gets mad. Other than that he is a sweet as a kitten and loves to be petted. Max is a awsome bull and he throws some nice calves too. Hey Sondra I have a jersey cow here too and we have some half Jersey calves. Some say the meat is more tender but I can tell the difference. Hey meat is MEAT and we dont have any implants or additives in this meat, like some do. We dont fix the bull calves till they are 6 mths old.  Yes I do that too, thank God for a squeeze chute....  :hehe:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Batman

• *Batman*
  • Mega Poster
    • Dicksons Brokenharrow Ranch
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 10:38:09 AM »
Hey you guys need to talk to Deanna, my daughter was given two jersey bull calfs. From the farmer that she helps milk. We have 107 acres and could even put them in with the horses..........The problem is Deanna would want to keep them as pets FOREVER!!! How long does a cow live???? You guys tell her!! :camp:
Home of both Registered and Non-registred nigerians and pygmys and other breeds please visit our website at www.brokenharrowranch.com for more information. Located in PA email brokenharrow@windstream.net

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 11:01:19 AM »
Well they can live as long as you let them, Our bull calves get steered or castrated at 6 mths and we either butcher them at 14 mths or sell them. Cows on the other hand can live for about 20 plus years. When they hit around 15+ yrs they are considered brokenjaw, or they start loosing teeth. When this happens you notice that they change in appearance by not holding their weight as well even if they are fed well. We usually sell them before they get to this age because the calves start getting smaller and not to good. If you have bull calves you need to steer them so they dont get really mean. Jersey bulls do get that way and they do not make good pets either...So DeAnna, you need to not make them pets, I dont because I like to eat them better than have a hay burner. Even the horses work here and if they arent producers they get sold. We have 1 cow here that will die here, she has proven herself and has been around for a long time.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Meshale

• Victorian Hill Farms
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 11:22:09 AM »
OHHHHH....let me tell you from years of being around Jerseys...my grandfather has had a dairy forever with over 200 head of Jersey.......and those Jersey bulls are the meanest things!.....he had one he called a "pet"....and one day he just took a weird turn and bout killed him!....pawed on the ground...one of the dogs was able to get him off!.....so take my and Kathy's advice..steer them use em for meat..and get ya a little Heifer...now Jersey bottle raised heifers are WONDERFUL!...they are pets!.....but get rid of the bulls....they won't even be pets as steers...you can't trust them!.....  :shocked:
Michelle Logan

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 12:50:01 PM »
Well if it isnt the cows wearing me out its the bucks, that sucker jumped the fence again and when I did catch him I put his knee whacker back on this time with a piece of wire. I bet he cant break this like he did the baling string   :hehe: I cant wait to take this 1 to the sale and get him out of here he is sucha  problem and I have a buck here that isnt any problem, and then I am getting a new 1 soon too, Grant! I need some relief  :rollin: Never a dull moment around here... Yes DeAnna those calves will seem nice for a while and they can turn in a blink of a eye too...They dont make good pets, the heifers do I have a Jersey cow and she will let you pet her and milk her and she will follow you anywhere if you have a bucket...I love Maggie, she is a sweety...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 12:57:21 PM »
Well just checked and that darn goat got scratches all over my arms  :flaminmad: I will stand out there in a bit and laugh at him cause I still won this war    :hehe: he is back but i have the battle wounds   :hehe: or well worth it cause he is fast and Im not so fast anymore ...  :hehe:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Meshale

• Victorian Hill Farms
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 01:13:44 PM »
Well Kathy i promise the only reason Grant would chase you would be to sit on your lap!!!LMAO  :smily961: :smily961:
Michelle Logan

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 01:29:03 PM »
Thats fine Moose still trys to sit in my lap too... he is kinda smelly now that he is being a buck but I still love on him sometimes when he isnt busy...  :hehe:
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 05:03:12 PM »
Ok guys this is my problem about the cow thing!! My daughter Brittney was given two Jersey bull calf's. I am not a vegetarian I love my meat but I am such an animal lover that I don't think I can raise my own cows for meat.  :hehe: We bought two pigs to raise and eat well they got named and I got attached   :smily961: I could not butcher and eat them and I didn't want to keep two pigs either Though I was attached, I already had enough  animals to take care of.  So we sold them I'm not stupid and I know they weren't bought for a pet but at least I wasn't the one eatting them.  :hehe:  Sean and Britt have tried to talk me into it. I just know I will get attached and wont want to eat them.  :laugh: If I did decide to have them butchered and eat them. I know everytime I would go to eat the meat my daughter would bring up the fact that I am eatting our cows. I would cry  :smily961: They both call me a tree hugger. I can't help it if I raise it I don't think I can eat it. Though I do know home grown beef is much better than store bought.  :icon_biggrin:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 07:11:57 PM »
First have them castrated, that is the biggest hurdle, and you have just got to have it done for the sake of your family's safety. Then live with them for a while, I guarantee it will be easier to eat them. Cattle by their very nature are strong willed, if they want to walk down a path and you're in it, they will push you out of the way rather than walking around you, they will rub the heads off your sprinklers, and use your fence posts to scratch on, and push down your fences. Don't get me wrong, I like cattle, but you REALLY have to be willing to accommodate their idiosyncrasies to live with them.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 09:48:47 PM »
If someone else can do the killin, I can do the eatin,
One taste of home grown beef Deanna and you will be getting more cows to eat.
Just name them Yummo and Filet mignon  :hehe:
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 10:43:11 PM »
Sausage and hamburger Prime rib are the names here.   We don't keep goats or animals except 1 dog that doesn't pull their weight.  I don't butcher here except rabbits but boy can I eat that meat.  I raised on goats milk one bottle heifer for the neighbors and even she tho a big pet  got to the point that I couldn't handle being butted by her as she thought she was a goat and butting I guess was her way of lovin.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:45:18 PM by Sondra »
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 11:08:22 PM »
I agree the first steer we had butchered was way back and when we would start to eat it my cousin would go MMMMM  Shorty you aure are good, we would take off at a run to the bathroom. I have had homegrown animals to eat all my life and its gets easier after a while, I get my DIL sometimes cause she dont want to know which 1 we are eating...  :hehe: well I slipped the other day and told her, she says I didnt want to  know , but he sure is good. She is a softie too and wants to keep them all, but when that freezer gets low, they got to go. I  dont do pigs at all did that but wont do it again got tired of the pork... I can eat beef anytime, but prok isnt my fav. If I need some I just call my son he works with a guy that raises pigs and its cheaper to buy from him than the store. DeAnna just rent that movie Fast Food Nation and you wont want store bought meat again...  :hehe: made my son sick and he is almost 24 and he called to see when we were sending some to the butcher...  :hehe: You wont like it when someone gets hurt either, just like Nic said they dont move for you like a horse. They will step on you and hurt you too. Our bull is gentle but I always have a eye on him and never trust him. Just want you to know this I have been around them all my life.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
The pigs were not friendly but I just couldn't bring myself to eat them.  :hehe: Sean was really mad at me but he got over it and let me sell them. :smily961: When I dropped Brittney ( my daughter off at her friends to help milk. She took me to the barn to see the little guys that they gave her. Way to cute. I told Sean if he wants to get them they will have to go where I can not see them and I will never Feed them that would be his and Britt's job.   :hehe:  Sondra we have allot of freeloaders her at this farm.  :hehe: We have more of a petting zoo. Than a farm.  :icon_biggrin:  I know I am being a big baby about the cow thing and I also know that the meat would be delicious. They will just have to understand that I can't go near them if they want to do this.  :icon_biggrin:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 11:36:45 PM »
Sounds reasonable to me.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 11:52:11 PM »
Thank you.  :icon_biggrin: I think it is reasonable to. But he wants to put them in with our horses and thats where I can see them. We have lots of property to put them on that I wouldn't have to see them when I drive down the driveway. How long do you have to keep them before you butcher? And also no names I'm telling you my daughter thinks its funny that I am the way I am. She would chant the name while we were eatting.  :smily961: Shes so much like her father its sad.  :smily961:  :smily961: 

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2007, 11:56:35 PM »
Sean, nooooooooooooo please don't put them with the horses, you want your horse to eat, and the cattle to not have chunks of hide removed-right?
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 12:25:57 AM »
My horses run with the cattle with no problems, and its been like this a while. I dont let the 1's with horns in with them and we feed them separatly in stalls or the horses want the cattle feed.  They share the hay and pasture in harmony unless 1 decides to chase the steers and then I have to go out back to find it. Had 1 go over the fence whent he paint chased the steers. The horses get bored sometimes, I can t run all of them together cause I have 3 geldings and 2 mares. They fight too much and so they cant run together. But split them up and they do good with the cattle and calves too. My appy babysits the calves when the cows want to go eat, he is great with them. I name mine just for indentification and when we send them to the butcher or sale barn. If you dont want to take care of them then dont, just remember all the implants and stuff thats in the store meat and you can change your mind real fast too. I just heard about the tyson recall for e-coli....SCARY!!!
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 12:30:42 AM »
Yep, some horses and cattle get along. We had a gelding go after a couple of heifers once, and I had to stand over one with a 2x4 until it came too, after the horse kicked it in the head. That gelding was out for blood, and determined to stomp the heifer too death-go figure.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 01:48:32 PM »
I guess we have just had good luck with ours, I have seen donkeys do that, they think the baby is a predator. Mine sure dont mess with the Bull. So far so good....If I ever do have a problem they will get shifted around. I know male donkeys will do it and ours is where he cant get to them at all... the female donkeys are better protectors...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers