Author Topic: vaccinating?  (Read 187759 times)

bs_arnold

• Arnold's Goats
vaccinating?
« on: March 08, 2007, 09:34:26 PM »
Hi all!! I was wondering how many times a year do you vaccinate your horses? I live in northeast Indiana and my vet says 2 times a year but the shots say once a year. I'm kinda confused. What do you all do?
Arnolds-Goats
Ligonier, Indiana
www.freewebs.com/arnoldsgoats

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
Re: vaccinating?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 09:48:02 PM »
I only vaccinate 1 time a year and we get the vet to come out and do it...they get West Nile, and their rabies and the sleeping sickness shots all that she thinks that they need....a rabies is a must...so is the others that they get...
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »
We only vaccinate once a year and the vet does it here also.  We get all the shots except West nile because we had some problems with the shot with our horse we thought we were going to loose the horse she didnt eat for about a week and a half and bearly drank we were very lucky.  So we just do not take the chance.
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 04:05:11 PM »
If your horses don't ever travel and are not located adjacent to other horses, than you should only need to vaccincate once a year.

If you show, trail ride, or are in an area highly populated with horses (ie there are some next door or they ride by your property) you need to vaccinate (4-way) a minimum of 4 times a year.

My above paragraphs concern flu/rhino/enceph/tet only.  Rabies is a given.  West Nile and Strangles vaccines are case by case based on exposure in your area.  Check with your dept of ag to see if there are cases near you.  If so...vaccinate according to manuf. directions.

There are also special considerations for broodmares in foal, mainly concerning enceph, and to provide protection against abortion. 
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com