Author Topic: Doves  (Read 4601 times)

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
Doves
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:39:13 PM »
My girlfriend has a dove in a cage ,she has had him for along time. Her stepmom used to breed them.
Yesterday I was over there and I noticed that his beak has overgrown and is starting to scissor.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience in trimming beaks ,and could share some info. Thanks.
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
Re: Doves
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 12:57:50 PM »
I grew up with birds. They need to invest in cuddle bones they are very inexpensive and are good for them. Always keep them in the cage. My cockatiel allways has one.  We had a parakeet (budgee) that had a over grown beak when we got it. My mom used toenail clippers to clip some off. You have to be very careful not to get the tongue. Its a bad thing to have a overgrown beak. The poor thing can starve if it is not taken care of and is that bad. They may just want to take it to a vet. Its hard to find a vet that knows allot about birds but I am sure that they could help her out. I hope this helped alittle.  :icon_biggrin:
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 05:09:49 PM »
She already got a cuttle bone, i told her that much and I told her to get a cement perch so he can wipe his beak on it, and hope he sleeps on it too for his toenails. I have a parrot and a parakeet, but have never had a problem with either.doves don't have a hook bill they have two long bills.
 The guy at the pet store told her about the nail clippers and She asked if I would do it,I do toe nails and clip wings, usually I would but I was afraid of bleeding.
My parrot chipped her beak once and it was so sensitive she could only eat soft foods and had a hard time climbing on her cage for a week.
I told her to ask the guy at the pet store if he would do it.
Thanks for the info Deanna   :icon_smile:
www.rockstarhoops.com
Southwestern PA

goat dreamin

• Mega Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 12:31:10 AM »
we have two doves we have not had that problem with them.... yeah i would ask the vet or that guy if he would do it for ya :icon_biggrin:
kate

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 12:32:17 AM »
Thanks Kate. and what are you doing up this late?
www.rockstarhoops.com
Southwestern PA