Author Topic: How long does this last?  (Read 7233 times)

Wendy

• Goat Enthusiast
How long does this last?
« on: December 07, 2006, 01:01:18 PM »
A week ago Tuesday I had a horse cut.  He is still pretty swollen - should he be?  He doesn't act like he is in pain or even had surgery.  I was told to watch for grapefruit size swelling and a yellow drainage.  The swelling is pretty close to that size and the drainage is from what I can tell little.
The swelling seems to go down but then by next chore time it's up again.  I don't see how he can pee.
If you touch his sheath it's soft and not hot. 
so him not acting like he's in pain, it being soft and not hot and does have a small amount of drainage - I don't know if that is all normal?  How long does the swelling usually last?
Wendy

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: How long does this last?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 01:12:15 PM »
Are you rinsing the incision area? That had a lot to do with how quickly ours recovered, you had to keep it open and draining. If it is scabbed over you might try using an empty squeeze bottle filled with warm water to get it open and draining. The whole swelling and rinsing took just one to two weeks for the ones we dealt with.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Wendy

• Goat Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 01:51:42 PM »
No not rinsing - the vet never told me about that.   With these temperatures here - wouldn't that be kinda COLD?    What drainage he is having has frozen to his hair.

So it's possible this is normal then for him to still be swollen.  I didn't know if it was like only a couple days worth or longer.

My husband got home late from a meeting last night - but is going to look at Lucky tonight - and I might call the vet tomarrow just to talk to him.

I can't really tell if it's scabed over or not. 
A couple hours after he was cut I seen my mare licking him from behind.  Are horse licks the same as Dog licks as far as the healing process goes?
Wendy

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 01:55:24 PM »
No, horses tend to heal a little better than dogs, because they aren't licking the area. Ask the vet if you should be rinsing the area, I'll bet it would make him feel better, and as long as you used a clean towel and gently blotted the area, there shoudn't be a problem from the cold.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 02:13:46 AM »
I would use fairly warm water and pat dry.
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

goat dreamin

• Mega Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 12:25:27 AM »
 howis he doing ?!?!?!?!?
kate