Author Topic: orphaned foal  (Read 6198 times)

Wendy

• Goat Enthusiast
orphaned foal
« on: June 30, 2006, 07:02:49 PM »
Around Memorial Day can't remember the exact date - my dad who works on a horse farm called me and said one of the mares had died and wanted to know if I wanted the foal.  So of course!
He is 4 weeks old now and doing great.  The second day he was here I had him drinking out of a bucket - feeding him every 3 hrs around the clock. I have now dropped to just feeding him 3 times a day and he eats grain and hay now.  
At first I just kept him with the goats and sheep.  I had a yearling stallion that I really didn't want to put him with.  But now the stallion went to my dads for training and I have him with 2 mares plus the sheep and goats.  He is petrified of the mares.  One tries to make up with him (she's really good with other animals - letting calves nurse)   I've tried introducing them - they sniff noses and all but any little noise the foal is running to the corner or hiding behind me.  Hopefully he'll come around and be a 'horse' guess give him time and show him that these 'huge creatures' are not going to hurt him.
Wendy

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: orphaned foal
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 07:10:51 PM »
Congratulations on your new baby, and on his doing so well! Orphaned foals can be a huge challenge.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907