Author Topic: my donkey broke my goats neck last night  (Read 18380 times)

goatygoat

my donkey broke my goats neck last night
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:17:10 PM »
Folks, just wanted to let you in on a horrible night, after long birthing day I went down to my other pen to check on some other goats.  :bawling: I found my 11 yr old pygmy doe dying,blood around her neck, exposed skin, she was on her back, feet up and still breathing.   :bawling: We put her down asap and sent her to goat heaven. My husband tells me her neck was broken. Our mini donkey did this. We have no idea why, this doe would bother no one.The donkey is going asap. He has only goats for friends and has been living with all of them for over a year.He is 8 and gelded. I have heard now that it's only female donkeys that protect herds. Any idea what caused him to do this? I will be most upfront with the people who choose to take him, this attack is not something to hide.Thanks
goatygoat
"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the lives of the animals and the creatures on this earth" -author unknown-

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: my donkey broke my goats neck last night
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 01:40:05 AM »
I am so sorry for your loss. You were trying to do a good thing by providing a protector for your goats, unfortunately, what happened is not unusual at all.

Folks, this is a perfect example of how dangerous it can be to have animals of unequal size housed together. And this is exactly why we tell people again and again to not trust your horses, donkeys, and cattle with your goats.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

goat dreamin

• Mega Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2006, 11:56:23 AM »
i'm so sorry you lost her :fit:   i know you war just trying to give hem  company

kate

HannahLaMancha

• Intermediate Poster
    • Knox Farms
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 01:57:06 PM »
I know this an old thread but we had a gelding that did the same thing to  a wether. I think the problem with him was he wasn't completely gelded.
Knox Farms-North Carolina
ADGA Registered Oberhasli and La Mancha Dairy Goats
info@knoxfarms.com
www.knoxfarms.com
Proverbs 27:26-27

Goat Milk? The Other White Milk

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 09:12:16 PM »
This is a very old post, but worth bringing up again.

My stallion killed a wether years ago, the same way, he grabbed him by the neck and broke the wethers neck. Too bad people had told me what great pasture mates horses and goats made-I never would have allowed the goat in with the horse if I had a clue something like this could happen.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Young LaMancha Breeder

• ~Home of happy small eared goats!~
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:31 AM »
We had a donkey when we first got started and was told they were great protectors. Well she done fine for about 3 years until out of the blue one day she takes after one of my goats. The goat ended up with a a broken leg. I am sure it could have been worse, but I was so glad it wasn't. I ended up with a broken foot and pulled ligaments in my leg and a near broken arm from trying to get the goat out of the way, I just knew that she was going to kill her. We will NEVER put a donkey in the pasture with our goats again.

Another thing we tried was the alpacas- and it may have just be the males but the ones we had would walk up to the goat and just bite the dickens out of them for no reason.

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:59:27 AM »
 :wow:  How sad!
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

countrymom

• Mega Poster
    • Mathiot's Paradise
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:08 PM »
Reading this sure makes me thankful that I never got a donkey.  We were sure thinking about it.  Well now if we get one I'll know not to put them in the pen with my goaties.   Sorry for all your losses but thank you for sharing.
Mathiot's Paradise
Becky Mathiot
Versailles, MO
countrymommy2000@yahoo.com
www.mathiotsparadise.com

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 05:33:06 PM »
The males work better with cattle if they have been gelded, and you dont want to wait to long either. I dont have mine in with my goats I have a Llama and he is doing a good job so far. Jenny donkeys do better as they arent as agressive as the jack donkeys.
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

KGWFARMS

• Mega Poster
  • KGW Farms I'm In The Spotlight
    • KGW Farms
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:46:18 AM »
How sad....I have heard they can go on for years and years being great protecters and then just one day...Snap!
Kristy Worthington
KGW FARMS
PO Box 90
Scales Mound, IL
(815)541-7698
kgwfarms@wildblue.net
www.kgwfarms.com

Young LaMancha Breeder

• ~Home of happy small eared goats!~
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
That is what jenny (I know real creative) done. She was fine and then all of a sudden went crazy acting.  :shocked:

Double C

• Intermediate Poster
    • Double C Exotics
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
We have five mini  jenny's and a jack, all are just as sweet as could be. A lot of breeders will tell you they are great protectors but I would never recommend putting them in with goats. You might get away with it for awhile but eventually, jenny or jack, they will naturally  start chasing, biting and kicking  to establish dominance or just playing. All normal behavior for a donkey but even a short outburst from a mini can be deadly for the goat.

www.doublecexotics.com
email  info@doublecexotics.com