Author Topic: OHK Mini horse people look here!  (Read 44360 times)

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
OHK Mini horse people look here!
« on: December 11, 2005, 12:53:17 AM »
Ok this is the first time I've ever had a Mini horse. he's 6 months old. And I have some questions!!!

1. How much grain should I feed him. I'll feed him either oats like Dandy or all stock feed like I do the goats, so its more convientent for everyone so if they sneak some bites from each other it'll be ok. Also He'll have hay and fresh water with the goats. ):

2. At what age should I get him gelded? If I do.

3. Pros and Cons of a Miniature Stallion?

4. Are Minis like bigger horses? Only smaller like in training...needless to say he cant have any one on his back. lol but can I go ahead and start training him on everything else.

5. How should I introduce him and Dandy? They may spend some time out in the pasture together sooner or later.

Thanks in advance i'll probably have more questions lol.
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*
Silent Dreams Miniature Goats

:bedtime:

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: OHK Mini horse people look here!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 01:20:36 AM »
Amy, he is little, so you have to go easy on the grain, and no I wouldn't introduce him to Dandy unless he is gelded. Dandy can kick the snot out of him, and run him off the food, and the little guy can kick Dandy in the knee and break his leg in a heart beat. Size really does matter when mixing horses. Gelding I can't help you with as far a minis go, we used to geld horses after 6 months. At 6 months I would start teaching him to tie, and let you pick up his feet. After that you can teach him to back, and later you can work him in a round pen. I would NOT lunge him, lunging young horses can really hurt them.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Narrow Way Farm

• http://www.narrowwayfarm.com
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 06:53:16 PM »
Amy,

We feed our miniature stallion and mare the same, they get about a cup or two in the winter months, we always up the feed on all our animals in the winter including hay, hay keeps them warm.  We feed our horses the same as our goats/sheep, 16% mixed feed from our local mill.  It is a little more than they need, usually only feed them 12% but it winter we give them more.

Geldiing him should be done around 6 mths just depending really on when he has fully dropped both testicals,  I will tell you that is a little different in minis sometimes, it can take longer.  So that will be the deciding factor in that

Our stallion personally is a sweet heart and I would NEVER own a big horse stallion in all the years we have had horses.  But with our miniature stallion I can trust him with even my kids, just not during breeding season.

Training not sure what you want to train him to do, so it will depend on what you want him to do as far as when you can train him.  He shouldn't be trained too hard since he is very young.  Like if you wanted to train him to pull a cart, he shouldn't be started till he is 2yrs at least.  Halter training is a must if he isn't already.

If Dandy is a large horse then I would not suggest putting them together at all, your new mini will not know he is smaller than the big horse and will try and take him on especially if he is still intact and the other is a gelding or stallion as well.  Now we do have our stallion and mare rotate out with the goats and sheep, BUT when we feed the stallion and he is out with the goats and sheep he MUST be watched as he will chase the others off from their feed.  Our mare does not do this she is good  and shares the hay.  Also our minis are not in with goats that have horns as they could kill the minis.

Hope this helps, ask more questions of anyone anytime, always know there is not one stupid question.  Hey check out my webpage you might find a link or two on my links page that would be a real help to you since you are a new mini owner!
Michael & Carrie Cooper
Narrow Way Farm
East Tennessee

The offer still stands!!! John 3:16

www.narrowwayfarm.com

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 09:41:39 PM »
Thanks guys :) Mom and I havent completely decided about gelding him. Seeming he is smaller, I'd be able to handle him. My other horse is a gelding. The plan is though to have them out in the pasture together at some point of time. Dandy is getting more curious of the guy now. Instead of walking to the fence to kick him he walks up and sniffs him... lol
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 09:49:28 PM »
Amy, putting the little horse with the big horse is asking for a train wreck. It is like asking Nica to compete with a Boer buck for food, someone, and it is usually the small one, is going to get seriously hurt.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 10:20:24 PM »
I see herds all the time have big and small (mini) horses together and they are fine. I'm not going to put him in now, but when he's older and not a baby any more I'll introduce them and see how they are. They may actually do fine. Dandy is starting to calm down around it now. I'm thinking about having Nastasha help me this week sometime and take the two for a walk together and see how they do.
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 10:47:42 PM »
Good luck, I hope it works for you.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 11:26:52 PM »
Thanks, I think it'll work, as long as dandy knows that the colt is no better then he is. lol. I'm going to ask Nastasha this weekend if she would like to help, she'll probably be jumping for joy. lol ah time for........ :bedtime:
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*

Rachels Animals

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »
I hope that everything works outs. If not you can always try keeping him in with the Goats.
~Rachel~

Narrow Way Farm

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2005, 11:54:50 AM »
Amy,

I will tell you this if you keep him a stallion and put him in with another male (gelding or not) he will go after him as he gets older and realizes he is a stallion.  You will end up with an injured or dead horse.  As Nic has stated even gelded you are asking for trouble.  I know you said you have seen it before that doesn't mean those people don't have trouble... I always see people with their animals in barbed wire too, but you know the second mine were in it they would be cut to shreds so it is a HUGE no no here.  We will pray for you that all goes well.. Minis are great fun!!  We love ours, I would have to say more than I ever did my big ones.
Michael & Carrie Cooper
Narrow Way Farm
East Tennessee

www.narrowwayfarm.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2005, 02:03:35 PM »
Years ago I had a proud cut gelding (horse gelded late in life, with way too much testosterone) this gelding was the love of the mares throughout the long canyon we lived in, and on more than one occasion we would get up and find a mare from miles away standing in the pen with our gelding. One time a quarter horse mare broke out and came a visiting, this seasoned mare realized after breaking into our place, that this was a gelding, and she had no use for him. At that point she turned on him, and kicked the snot out of him, before I could get in the middle of them-remember here this is a gelding to mare fight. My gelding had hoof prints on his sides (thankfully it was the sides, and not his legs) that stood up an inch and a half. I couldn't ride him for a month, and missed out on a lot of shows.

We now have a quarter horse stallion, who as a baby was the smallest in the herd of mares and young horses. At 6 months of age he learned to protect himself with his back feet, and in fact laid open one of the older horses face, with one well placed kick. Later at a boarding facility, someone left his gate unlatched and he (as a 2 year old) went over to a gelding pen, and struck at him over the fence, and laid his flesh open in about 14 spots, it was a horrific sight. This horse healed, but it took 2 months, and as a roping and reining horse-his owner was obviously upset.

I have a friend who has full sized and minis, and she allows them out together during the day, BUT she feeds them all separately, and has barns and pens to accommodate their different feeding requirements, AND THEY ARE ALL MARES.

I am telling you all of this in order that you have an educated position from which to decide if you want to protect your stallion, or Dandy for that matter Amy. Not to argue with you or convince you to change your mind. IF you know what can happen and you choose to expose your new baby to unnecessary harm, that is your choice, and I will pray it goes well.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2005, 06:36:42 PM »
I hope that everything works outs. If not you can always try keeping him in with the Goats.

Rachel, when he's full grown I'm not going to keep him in with the goats. THis is just for when he's a baby.
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*

Narrow Way Farm

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2005, 08:01:29 PM »
Amy is this a little mini or a pony, because if this is a mini he probably won't get much bigger than he is even at 6mths.  He may grow just a inch or so maybe even 2 iinches in the next year.. That is what is so great about minis.. but now if he is a PONY then he may get much bigger more in hands than in inches.
Michael & Carrie Cooper
Narrow Way Farm
East Tennessee

www.narrowwayfarm.com

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 08:03:14 PM »
He's a Mini. Horse.
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*

Narrow Way Farm

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 12:20:13 AM »
He isn't going to get much bigger then
Michael & Carrie Cooper
Narrow Way Farm
East Tennessee

www.narrowwayfarm.com

nicagurl

• Intermediate Poster
    • Barnyard Talk
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 12:35:28 AM »
I know. I talked to Kenny (previous owner) about his size.  :goodidea:
Nicagurl
*~Amy~*

Snowball

• Platinum Stables Miniature Horses
    • http://www.minihorses.biz
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 11:20:04 AM »
Putting a Mini in with a larger horse seems at first, harmless enough, but if you will give it some thought you will see why it is not recommended.  Height ,size and bone density of the mini puts him at a serious impact disadvantage.. One day the two of them may start playing and the big one will kick out playfully, and with the size difference involved could easily injure or end your minis life.  I see people that have done it and got away with it. I also know people who haven't gotten away with it, and regret the decision to try it. A minis head is right at the kicking range of a larger horse, and intent to be playful or not, it is a dangerous situtation for the mini.  I have minis, but they stay in their own lot, and pasture for their ultimate safety. 
Mary Hyduck
Queen Creek, Ariz.
Platinum Stables.
www.minihorses.biz
Registered Miniature Horses
NGA /NDGA Show and Pet Quality,- blue-eyed, colorful, Nigerian Dwarf Goats
E-mail mary@futons.net