Author Topic: A bit of South American  (Read 5944 times)

DWFarms

• Mega Poster
    • http://www.freewebs.com/doinwonders/
A bit of South American
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:10:44 PM »
Here is some of my little indoors friends.  Two are newbies.

It started about ohh 9 months or so ago, that was my first encounter anyways. My son kept coming in talking about this bird who was at the pet store and he always got to hold him and play with him. Well, after months upon months of hearing my son come in with his Pa telling me about this bird. I had to go see the amazing creature for myself. Little did I know that he one day would be mine. I went back not once, not twice but a multitude of times to see this guy over the months.  More than once I almost asked the price. Well, about a month and a half ago. Shortly after I lost Co. I went to the petstore. That little bird put a smile on my face. So I decided that it was time to add a family member.  I ask the owner what his price was because he and his little friend were not priced all the board. It read was " Jackie and Sunny PRICELESS". The owner got choked up. He knew I had been there many times just to see Jackie. He started telling me how unfair it was for them to be in the pet store and how he was just being selfish by not allowing anyone to purchase them.  He then told me that these were in fact their birds. People from all over town came in just to see them and hold them.  Pictures of Jackie and other people can be seen hanging on the walls of the pet store (including pictures of Jackie with Santa Claus).  He then told me that he could see our bond.  He knew when I came to the pet store who I came to see.  He told me it wasn't fair for them to be there and that the store required alot of time for the others (handfeeding and cleaning ect.) That he wasn't able to spend enough time with them.  He told me that many have asked the price of these birds and he would just say they weren't for sale. But, seeing us together he knew we had a bond. My heart raised while he was saying this. I had indeed seen people ask and him tell them this. I knew what he was saying was true.  Why in the world I asked that day I have no clue but, I do know that the price I paid was a breeder price not a shop price.  He was selling him for love not money.

I asked if he perfer I pay all today and take him or pay half and the other half a month later and get him them. He wanted the deposit and a month with Jackie.  I can completely understand this. I would want some goodbye time too.

A couple weeks later I decided I would go ahead and pay for Jackie and he could keep him until our agree date. On this day. I was offered Jackies best friend. Another family pet. They had been together from the time Sunny was just a baby.  Sunny has never been seperated from Jackie.  They really hated to see them part, so offered Sunny to me for alot cheaper than what they sell the new babies for in the store.  Note: Sunny is a little bundle of love. He is one who will fly to you and wants love and attention. You can handle either one of these birds any way you want.

I agreed to take Sunny as well. Again I seen his heart break.  He loves these birds I know it had to be hard on him. My requirement was that I bring them back for free wing and toe nail trims, so they could see them.  

Lefty my Double Yellow Headed Amazon took to these two like they were his own. He sings to them and gets all excited when its time for them to be close. I havn't allowed them to play together because of Leftys size, but I do allow them to set extremely close with supervision. Lefty loves this.

Leftys little friend who had been with him from the time Left was just a weanling flew away 2 years ago.  Lefty pined and sulked around for the longest. I had tryed to find birds that he cared for in this manner since and none worked but Jackie and Lefty are perfect. I believe Lefty see's his little friend he lost 2 years ago in Jackie.  When they get close Lefty will talk directly to them and sing. It is such a relief to see him happy with a friend again.

All three of these birds can be found in South America mainly Peru. The Double Yellow Head (Lefty) is going extinct in the wild due to illegal trapping and exporting. They were put on the list of endangered species in 1993.
Stephanie
LaMancha Lover

God Bless!

DWFarms

• Mega Poster
A bit of South American
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:14:42 PM »
Here are a few more pictures...
Stephanie
LaMancha Lover

God Bless!

DWFarms

• Mega Poster
A bit of South American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 10:14:22 PM »
A little info on the birds.

Double Yellow Headed Amazons (Lefty) are one of the most skilled of the Amazon Species. They along with the Yellow Naped are the best talkers among the Amazons. Their talented speech are so similar that they have not been able to say for sure which are the better talkers.
Heres a link on DYH's (also one of the cheapest I have seen on prices!)
http://www.prowant.net/id99.htm

White Bellied Caiques (Jackie) are the rariest is the two subspecies being bred in captivity. The most common of the Caiques are the black-headed. The White bellied or yellowed thighed. to be specific are being bred in captivity because of there suitablity of being great pets and the richer coloration. Pets can be found for sale but are not as easiy to obtain as the other parrots, also they are more costly. They are very adventurious and love attention, this breed even makes great pets while being paired. Most all other birds after becoming breeders loose interest in humans after bonding with a mate but the Caiques are the rare few who still love the human attention.  They are called clowns in the bird world there is nothin these little guys won't do for fun. They love to cuddle, bunny hop and hair surf. They can be a bit nippy if they don't receive enough attention. They need lots of toys and need them changed often to keep them from getting bored.  Favorite toy is their human.  These birds are not for beginners, they need someone who knows how to handle them. They are very outgoing and overall demanding. They can learn to talk but not as clear as a African Grey. Their vocabulary isn't very large either. The tricks and antic prove this bred to be a great pet.
Here is a link on White bellies.
http://www.caique-parrot-pet-birds.com/perfect.html

Black Capped Conure (Sunny) Black caps are a talker as well. However there vocabulary is pretty small you can still understand what they are saying. They are very affectionate and loyal. Once you have befriended a black cap they will steal  your heart. Talk about a big bird in a small body the black cap has so much to give you will have no trouble knowing this bird wants your attention. Kisses and grooming is one of their favorite things to do. Here is a link on Black Capped Conures
http://www.prowant.net/id50.htm

Breeding Parrots is something that the US wants. Not for over population but for the safety of the wild birds. If there are enough birds in the U.S. then there will be no need for importing illegals. So in hope for them to flurish in the wild once more.

There are some birds that specific states won't allow in the state. Such as a quaker. They are not allowed in TN. Main reason for this that if they were ever released or excaped on accident they could begin to populate in our climate. Becoming pests such as the common crows and black birds do to the crops. If you are interested in purchasing a bird over the internet or out of state be sure your state allows the birds you are interested in.

Hope you have enjoy a little bit of my bird talk.

Now, Nancy when am I gonna get to see your feathered friends!!!
Stephanie
LaMancha Lover

God Bless!

DWFarms

• Mega Poster
A bit of South American
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:39:02 PM »
one more pic...
Stephanie
LaMancha Lover

God Bless!

Jamie

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • http://www.geocities.com/folkartbyjamie/index.html
A bit of South American
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 10:57:34 PM »
Awwww, little birds!  My cats love little birds!!
 :lol: Hehe, I'm just teasing you.  They sound like awesome little critters.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
A bit of South American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 11:33:30 PM »
Ohhh WoW! Stephaine, they are wonderful, and the pet store guy is right, they will be very much loved.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Barnes

• New to fourm -0- posts
    • http://www.breezyhillfarm.org
A bit of South American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 11:43:32 PM »
Steph, your feathered friends are beautiful! :D
Cassandra Barnes
Breezy Hill Farm
Chapel Hill, TN

Amy Goatress

• Mega Poster
A bit of South American
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 12:21:20 AM »
What lovely birds they are.

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
A bit of South American
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 10:49:29 PM »
Nice looking birds you got there Steph.

We figured out a long time ago we cant keep one. Some friends of ours were going on vacation and asked us to keep their birds while they were gone. They brought them over and we put the cage way up high, stepped out the front door to visit. Came back in in about 30 minutes and our cats had figured out a way to get to them and they had already eaten them.  :shock:
Poor people hadn't even left our house yet and the birds were history. I felt real bad. It was a good thing they were not expensive birds like you have.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

DWFarms

• Mega Poster
A bit of South American
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2005, 04:10:45 PM »
Greg I use to keep a cat in the house but that was when Lefty was the only bird. A year or so ago. One day she thought she would sneak up and grab the cage. I thought she was gonna pull back a stub. lol She screamed and ran, Lefty apparently let go after a pretty good chomp but that was good enough for Ritten she didn't need to adventure around his cage again. She met her match.

Now that Jackie and Sunny are here there will be no way a cat can come in the house. I just wouldn't trust them a bit. Sunny is so tiny he would be history. Jackie would probably scare it off after being injuryed. So no chances, nope nope.

Here I am very sleep deprived and fully feathered.

Thanks every one.    I also have a lovebird but I can't handle it.  Peaches is its name. Yellow with a peach face.  They are quite comical. Lefty sings along with music as does Peaches, Jackie dances and Sunny chirps away.  its a full blown bird band around here when you have tunes on.  Pretty neat too. It it ever gets to much for me to bear I can always cover them up for some night night time while were watching movies or trying to listen to something. You won't hear a peep out of them. LOL

I heard Jackie say his first words today. It was so neat. He was begging for a piece of my taco. It was spicy so i thought nope not a chance. He couldn't stand it. He was bobbin up and down dancing on his perch then out he screams HELLO!!!... I look up and he goes Pretty Bird. LOL how funny. Got my attention ok....

I look dead in this picture, plus the fact it is fuzzy. It was a picture from my camera phone. but it was so cute how they were just quitely spending time with me. Almost just happy they were on me.  Such well behaved guys.
Stephanie
LaMancha Lover

God Bless!

Jean

• New to fourm -0- posts
A bit of South American
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 12:58:42 AM »
Steph. your birds are absolutely beautiful. Their colors are so pretty. I am glad you got these little guys, and share so much love with one another.
Jean - Southwest Virginia

AzaleaHillFarm

Re: A bit of South American
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2005, 01:16:50 PM »
Steph, I never saw this post before. But, I just wanted to say those are some gorgeous birds you have there!!!

Trish
Trish Calvin