Author Topic: Stiff Sheep  (Read 98 times)

cdcopeland

• Goat Enthusiast
Stiff Sheep
« on: June 13, 2017, 02:28:51 PM »
I have an older ewe who is exhibiting arthritic type symptoms.  Stiff gait, difficulty getting up and down, yet still has a good appetite.   Any ideas what is causing this? 

Thank you.

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
Re: Stiff Sheep
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
Sounds like you hit it on the head. Arthritis. Never owned any sheep, but on my older doe's I give them a little Fluid Flex in their grain ration and it really seems to help them when they get a little older and stiff jointed. It's a horse supplement, but seems to work good. Read the ingredients on the label. I don't remember if it contains copper or not. Copper is not good for sheep.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

cdcopeland

• Goat Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
 :confused:I had to tell her twice!   Ha!   Just kidding.   Unfortunately, Fluid Flex contains copper, so that's out.   This has just recently started.   It almost looks like white muscle, but she's older and also UTD on her BoSe.   Thanks for the reply!

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 09:50:09 PM »
If she is up on BoSe you could try some glucosmine. It's made for people with stiff joints and I know several people that have used it on their animals, some with good results. Might be worth looking into.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.