Author Topic: Will my goats accept a new Guard Llama after Loss  (Read 932 times)

TerriL188

• New to fourm -0- posts
Will my goats accept a new Guard Llama after Loss
« on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:41 PM »
I have had my Goats and Llama for 15 wonderful years.  I had gotten down to 10 Goats over the last 4 years but this year was awful.
I lost 2 Goats within 2 weeks and then the worst My beautiful Llama Kalo.  I have been a mess but my Goats are taking it very hard, they are so Jumpy at night.  I feel so bad for them.  I am thinking of getting an older Llama for them but I wondered if they would accept a new Llama does anyone know.  I am sure there are many people that go through this so I would like some input, the last thing I want to do is put more stress on my Goaties.  Thanks Terri

Sinorejas

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • It's Ollie!
Re: Will my goats accept a new Guard Llama after Loss
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2016, 11:30:47 PM »
Terri, I'm so sorry to hear you've been having such a terrible time!  And also sorry I don't have answers for you.  Hopefully, someone in the know will be able to answer.  Hang in there!
Doreen Ward,
Farmhand,
Dairy Goat Lover,
Milkmaid

When you come to Christ, you need to give Him everything you are and especially everything you are not.

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 10:23:26 PM »
I don't think the goats will have a problem with a new Llama however the new Llama may have a problem with the goats. It is really going to depend on the Llama and his or her disposition.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

TerriL188

• New to fourm -0- posts
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 03:04:33 PM »
Thank you for your replies.  When I first got my Farm I knew nothing about anything and for the most part still don't.  I looked in the newspaper and fouond someone selling Goats so I went to their house and they had 2 Baby Pygmy Goats I was in love so the people showed me how to bottle feed them.  So we loaded them up in the car and the lady said you know I have a Llama I need to get rid of I just have too many.  I asked how much and she said $75.00 and I thought OK I had read that they will guard goats so I got him.  He came to my house I put him with the goats and over the next 2 years just bought goats and stuck them in with him.  I never had any problem with him, he never hurt anyone and he was the best.  No training just instinct.  I would not try to replace him but I dont want the goats to be scared.

Farmer's Pride Dairy Goats

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 12:19:40 AM »
I have never owned a Llama so my experience is all word of mouth. If you want a replacement I would get one that is already proven to be a guard animal with good results.
I have also been told to never get one that is friendly with people. You want one that is shy around people so you will never be challenged for your place in the herd. You always want to be on top.

Greg F.
Greg F.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.