Author Topic: cockateil? and aviary pic  (Read 1277 times)

mychocolabs

cockateil? and aviary pic
« on: April 24, 2012, 11:33:06 AM »
Okay, I got a new avairy for my birds.  I have 5 birds in it right now and I have a single male in a seperate cage.  I know for sure that I have 1 male in the avairy, possibly 2 the baby that I kept from last spring. 

What I want to know...is it safe to add this seperated male to the aviary, I don't have a nesting box in the aviary but I don't want the birds to fight.  I don't like him being alone but I don't want the males killing each other off.

In the aviary right now I have for sure 3 females....1 male.....and 1 i'm not sure of sex but has been with these other birds since small.  Would adding the other male to the mix cause problems.  He was caged with these females before and is the father of the unknown sex bird. 

BTW...he has not been handled, he was perch trained.

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Re: cockateil? and aviary pic
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:55:43 PM »
I know nothing about birds, but I'm sure Nic or someone else will be on here soon and can answer your questions. 
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:27:08 PM »
Beautiful aviary. I had males (several) in the cage 7-8 females, and all was fine UNTIL they started to pair off, then it was war in the cage. I don't want any more babies, so I have segregated my males and females and as long as their cages are large enough, they seem to get along. Too many birds in a cage leads to aggression-in my experience. If I wanted to keep one male out of the aviary, I would pick a male or female to put with him for company.

To answer your question about putting your single male into the group cage, yes you can try, and watch. The group may or may not accept its new member. Just be ready to save him if it starts.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:29:04 PM by GoatTalker »
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Kayla

• Cajun:)
    • Dixie Dairy
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:04 AM »
I raised parakeets a few years back, and had males and females together.  It was my females that did all the fighting when there was a nest box.  The boys all got along pretty good.  Just watch everyone, it wont hurt to try.  I dont know if cockateils are anything like parakeets.
Anthony and Nathan's mommy. :)  3 cats, 20 snakes + eggs, and Nigerians Athena, Holly, Cajun, Angel, Jubilee, and Mariposa!