Author Topic: Any tips on finding starling nests?  (Read 2592 times)

Nightshade

• future veterinarian (pic is NOT me)
  • New to fourm -0- posts
Any tips on finding starling nests?
« on: December 10, 2010, 02:50:22 PM »
We have starlings that attack our bird feeders, and we usually frighten them off and shoot them with the air rifle.  This is legal because they are invasive, non-native birds that take over native bird nesting areas.

Anyway, I noticed that they brought like 4 waves of babies to the feeders this year --I hear that starlings make fantastic pets and as I've always wanted a crow (illegal unless you purchase an imported, captive bred Australian species), and these are another little intelligent corvid, I would love to raid a nest and take a clutch to raise.  It would also be nice if I could find and destroy nests with eggs in them to help encourage the starlings to leave.

We have other precautions against them, as they seem to like the suet that we have for the flickers and pileated woodpeckers the best, so we made a hardware cloth holder that will only accomodate the longer beaks of the woodpeckers and that keeps them away for most of the time.

(oh, one of the reasons we don't like the starlings up there is that they come in big groups, are incredibly loud, demolish and spill all the food, poop like crazy on everything and chase away our beloved evening grosebeaks).
John 3:16-18
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world; but to save the world through him.He that believes on him is not condemned: but he that doesn't believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Any tips on finding starling nests?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 10:46:28 AM »
I'm no bird expert, so I hope someone helps you with this issue. If it was me, I would stop feeding all of the wild birds, and remove/cover the nest boxes. When their free lunch is gone for a year or two, you should see a decrease in your infestation. Then you can again try to encourage the species you prefer.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:40:43 AM »
Starlings are a pest here, also.  I even have one small starling that hangs out in the doe pen, probably to get any leftover morsel they can find.  I sure wish there was an easy way to eradicate them, but it would take a looooong time to do that if it were even possible. 
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

Bobg2012

• New to fourm -0- posts
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:14:50 AM »
They are considered a problem when they chase other birds away.   They are an omnivore so their diet is varied.  They are also both a song bird and a mocking type bird.  They can be taught to talk if raised as a pet.  Recent research has shown that starlings are a benefit to farmers in that they consume far more pests than other birds.  They are cavity nesters so they use what they find.  Captive starlings are fed a paste of ground up dry cat food because of the high protein content and fat and is mixed with applesauce or other fruit as a supplement.  Later they can eat it ground up and dry.