Author Topic: Anyone have Cockateils?  (Read 5012 times)

mychocolabs

Anyone have Cockateils?
« on: March 26, 2009, 09:33:36 PM »
I recently aquired a pair of cockateils.  I was told that they were male and female however they look identical.  They are about a year old.  By the coloring of the ones I have I believe they are both female.  Does anyone know if their colors change as they get older.  These are your normal greys they both have very faint yellowing on their faces, and the yellow barring on their tail feathers.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Anyone have Cockateils?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »
I have Cockatiels, can you post pictures of your birds, face forward to the camera and I'll try to help you with gender. Yes, Cockatiels change color, in that both genders may have tail bars as babies, which later go away in males.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

mychocolabs

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:48:06 PM »
I was told that they are about 11 months old.  The one on the right I was told was a male.  Hope the pic is good enough I've only had them for a few weeks and have not handled them yet. 

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 12:26:38 AM »
They both appear to have banding on the underside of their tails, which would indicate female.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

mychocolabs

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
They both do have the banding on the underside of their tails.  I have read that that is not always an indicator, what makes me think that these are both female is the coloring of their faces.  Every picture that I have seen of a standard gray male, they have a yellow face not gray with faint yellow.  Do you know if that is correct or not? 

Thanks for the input.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »
Brilliance of color on the face is unfortunately not a gender indicator in Cockatiels-go figure. The banding on the tail if it goes away, indicates a male, if it stays, it is female. For some reason, my babies have been female, weird.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

mychocolabs

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2009, 04:29:55 PM »
GoatTalker....at what age is a cockateil considered fully mature? should all of their markings colorings be what they are going to be?  thanks for all of your help here and with my goats.

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 04:31:55 PM »
Between 6 months and a year, their true colors should be obvious. They can start sitting as early as 4-5 months, but both the hen and the cock do not seem to be good parents in most cases when they start that early.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

mychocolabs

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 01:17:16 AM »
Okay got another ? for you.  I am looking 4 a male, I have possibly found a male but was told that he is 5 years old and the reason they are possibly rehoming him is his mate died.  Obviously I would not put them together until the female is definately older, but would the male mate with another female? would the age thing be difficult or would I be better to get a younger bird? what's your opinion 

btw thanks for all the input

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 01:52:50 AM »
I would probably give it a try, and stop breeding them when they are 6-8 years old. I would not put the young bird in with the older bird until the hen is old enough to sit. Yes, they will most often accept a new mate.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

mychocolabs

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 12:36:10 PM »
With the breeding would you also stop breeding the male at age 6-8 or is that just generally for the female?  I would definately keep them seperated for about 6 months because that would make the female about 18 months when I put them together. 

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
You can put the hen in with the cock after 8 months, don't expect their first batch to be a great success, they are just learning. When I want to rest my birds I put them in a cage that does not have a nest box., they will still breed, but so far not sit.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

mychocolabs

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »
Hi GoatTalker, well I got another bird, this one I was told was a male. This one is extremely tame, he spends the majority of his day on my shoulder he gives me kisses, whistles all the time he is full feathered so if I get out of sight he comes looking for me.  When I need to go do chores he goes back in his cage because I am afraid he will follow me out.  I hope that this one is a male but if not I love him either way.  I think this one is a pearl but I'm not sure.

Here are some pics, let me know what you think???

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 12:52:56 AM »
Congratulations, but I think you have a hen there.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

mychocolabs

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 02:41:08 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  I guess I'm just gonna give up on getting a male at this point in time and just stick with what I have.

Thanks!

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2009, 03:01:30 PM »
Too bad you don't live closer, I have 3 babies right now, one could easily be a male.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats