Author Topic: She passed away! Someone help something is wrong with my bird!!  (Read 6906 times)

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
    • www.brokenharrowranch.com
Nic Sondra someone. I just went to feed harley and there is blood everywhere. I took her out and she has a bloody sack hanging from her bottom. There is no Bird vet around here. I would have to drive an hour to get to one. I grew up with birds and I know this is not good!!!!! They do not have much blood and it is everywhere!!! :bawling:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 05:50:08 PM by Yorkielover »
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
Re: She passed away! Someone help something is wrong with my bird!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:51:30 PM »
Nic I am so sorry Harley just passed away  :bawling: I took pics of what happen but not going to post them.
Home of Nigerian Dwarfs and Many.. Many... more loved animals. www.brokenharrowranch.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »
I'm so sorry Deanna, it sounds like she was egg bound.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 06:06:43 PM »
 :bawling: I'm sorry, egg bound sounds right.
Does anyone know how to prevent that? I think chickens can have that problem also....
Show quality NPGA and NMGA Goats
Show quality ARBA Holland Lops
Jennymae

trestlecreekfarm@comcast.net

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »
You have to keep their calcium levels up when they lay and lay and lay. Kale, collard greens, cuttle bone, all can help. Also keeping a pan of water in the cage for the hen to moisten her underside can help as well.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 06:12:38 PM »
Thanks. Yes, I feed a complete laying crumb made for hens with lots of calcium so I bet mine are fine.

Scary, that's for sure! Poor birdie!!
Jennymae

"Excellence is not an act but a habit. The things you do the most are the things you will do the best."

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »
I did keep a cuddle bone in with her at all times. Was fed the reg Cockatiel food and allways had a Mineral treat it had 16% Calcium in it Pineapple flavor and she loved them. Sean said she was fine this morning he gave her fresh water. I noticed the blood on her beak first then saw it all over the place at first I thought maybe she got her nail caught on something and that was where the blood was coming from. Not thinking anything like this she has been laying eggs forever. Allot of them. When I got the glove to get her and picked her up I noticed  her bottom when I flipped her over everything was hanging there. Needless to say I freaked. Called You Nic and when I got no answer I called my mom. By then she was laying at the bottom of the cage not doing well at all. Shortly after she passed. I did notice that she has been very talkitive lately. More than normal. Nic could I have stressed her out to cause this when my mom and I clipped her nails and flight feathers. I feel awful. It was one thing giving her to you Nic and letting her go where she would have a mate and have lots of babies but this is breaking my heart poor little girl had to suffer.  :bawling:

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 07:11:17 PM »
 :hug2_202: Deanna, there was nothing you could have done to save her, when they are that bad, even if you live with a vet, saving they is next to impossible. She had a good life, and you were there with her, what more could a bird ask for?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:52:38 PM by GoatTalker »
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

lilhill

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
    • Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:38:14 PM »
Deanna, I'm so sorry.   :tissue:
Sandie                                             North Alabama
Lil' Hill Farm Nigerian Dwarf Goats
ADGA/AGS/NDGA Registered
www.lilhillfarm.com
sanderterry@gmail.com

The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.  And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.  Proverbs 27:26,27

GoatTech

• Mega Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 07:49:03 PM »
Yes Deanna, from what I understand, clipping nails and feathers could have stressed her out horribly. Birds are funny that way.
A friend of mine took his bird in to get the break trimmed and it died later that night. Just died, no injury, must have went into shock from the trip.
Don't feel bad, these things happen and you took good care of her.
Jennymae

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:10:11 PM »
 :hug2_202: Thank you. I have had Harley for quite awhile. She has had her nails and wings clipped before. And I had never had a problem with her though it had been awhile since she had it done. It was the day britt came home I think that she had them clipped. And like I said she has been chattering allot more lately. But thought nothing about it. Was eatting well and drinking well. She even got Those fruit'n honey Treats for Christmas. (Everyone gets Christmas presents here) She was eatting that also. I am in shock. Sean ofcoarse tells me not to dwell on it. I know he means well but I am just not the type of person to let things go easily. I do not feel bad for me it is Harley I feel awful for. I just keep thinking how much it must of hurt her and cry due that I did not catch this before it got to this.  :bawling:   

Chaty

• Kathy- Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Boo its me!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:59:18 PM »
 :tissue: So Sorry Deanna I just saw this...soounds like she might have been egg bound . I had a hen that did this ...Sorry again
Kathy McHorse                                                          
Blue Mound, Kansas
KARO Sunflowers
La Manchas, Nubians & Alpines
Contact- kathy_mchorse@yahoo.com
* And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens. * Proverbs 27:26-27

~SimplyBlessed~

• Mega Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 11:05:15 PM »
 :bawling:  I'm sorry.  That's really heartbreaking. 
I'm glad you were able to be with her when she passed. 

Big hugs to you.  I'm sure it was very traumatic seeing that.  So sorry.
The Good Lord gave you two ends.....one for sitting and one for thinking. Heads you win, tails you lose.

Yorkielover

• "Deanna" Goat Wrassler
  • Mega Poster
  • Goat Wrassler
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 12:15:04 AM »
 :tyrose:  :hug2_202:

Sinorejas

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • It's Ollie!
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 01:11:19 AM »
Deanna, I am so sorry, too, and yes, that must've been awful seeing her go through that.  hugs to you, sweetie.   :grouphugg:
Doreen Ward,
Farmhand,
Dairy Goat Lover,
Milkmaid

When you come to Christ, you need to give Him everything you are and especially everything you are not.

Little Farmer Debi

• Debi
  • Mega Poster
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 11:43:04 AM »
 :hug2_202: aw sweetie you probably couldn't have saved her even if you had seen a vet.
these things just happen sometimes and you just do the best you can.
having you near her was comforting to her I am sure.
By the way the vet next to my house is an avain vet.
I would not trust him with any of my other animals ( dr.death) but as far as birds go I have heard he is top notch.
www.rockstarhoops.com
Hula hooping goat lover in
Southwestern PA

TheGoatMan

• New to fourm -0- posts
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2009, 06:09:47 PM »
 :s2: I feel so sorry. I hope you get feeling better.
wish i had obershaulsies 8 bufforpingtons 5 newhamps 5 blackaustrolorps 2 dogs 5 cats