Author Topic: Egg Bread Recipe (for breeding & molting exotic birds)  (Read 20708 times)

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
Egg Bread Recipe (for breeding & molting exotic birds)
« on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:08 PM »
How to Make Your Own Bird Protein Egg Bread.

1 Box of Jiffy corn bread mix
12 large eggs
ľ cup of:  4 parts wheat germ oil and 1 part cod fish oil (can use flax oil in the oil mix as well).  Oh, and in a pinch, you can use regular veg oil...

All of these ingredients belwo are optional.  (You can add these items after it is cooked or before. The heat will destroy some vitamins):

Ground Flax Meal (Trader Joes) 1 tablespoon
Almond Meal (Trader Joes) ) 1 tablespoon
Dehydrated vegetable mix (Vegetural from Global Pigeon Company) 11/2 tablespoon
Brewers yeast (Globalís Form-Plus) ) 1 tablespoon
Mineral mix (Globalís Mineralvit) ľ teaspoon
Powdered Avian vitamins or hand feeding formula (use as directed) An excellent way to add vitamins to your birdís diet.
Probiotics (use as directed)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Pour a dab of wheat germ oil in the bottom of a 9 by 12 baking dish.
Mix all ingredients together (May want to use a mixer).
Pour in baking dish.  I use a loaf pan.
Back for 25 minutes then check. Will probably need 5 more minutes. You want it to be very dry. Over cook it a bit but donít burn it. I score the bread with a knife when it is about done and let it bake a little longer to dry out the inside of the bread. It is better to have it more dry then moist. Moist egg bread is a great place for bacteria to grow. Dry egg bread will not spoil but turn stale when left out to long. This is much safer for the birds.  If it is a little humid, sometimes I have to take the loaf out of the pan, break it up, and bake it at 200 degrees until it really dries out.
Remove the bread and cool.
Once cool crumble it up in a food processor (This is the point where you can add other dry ingredients if needed.
Store in the freezer. Take out a small amount and thaw in microwave for a few seconds if needed.
Your can keep a Tupperware container of this stuff in the fridge for 5 days at a time. Otherwise freeze it so it stays fresh
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
Re: Egg Bread Recipe (for breeding & molting exotic birds)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
 :ty2:

So Kate, can I buy some from you?
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:54:34 PM »
LOL It really is easier to make than it sounds...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 09:04:59 PM »
And I would rather buy it from you then go to all the places I would have to go to get the ingredients. I could PayPal you the money and you could send it too me????? Pleazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzze
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.' - Theodore Roosevelt 1907

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
OKay let me figure this up and let you know...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:36:48 PM »
 :tyrose:
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »
Looks like with all the goodies in it, it would come to $25 a loaf (includes shipping)...probably could have some ready to ship by Monday.
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
Can I PayPal to your email addy on here/is it the same email address?
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 11:30:56 PM »
yup =) be sure your addy is on there
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »
Sent.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

Sondra

• Mega Poster
    • A2Z Dairy Goats
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 06:03:54 PM »
Thanks for that recipe Kate!  I too may order it just from u.  but have to wait on finances right now.  in the mean time am makeing some of my own
A2Z Dairy Goats
Mini Mancha/Nubian/LaMancha
Allcraft Signs & Graphix
a2zdairygoats@yahoo.com
Azle, TX
http://www.freewebs.com/mldga

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 11:55:34 PM »
No problem, Sondra!

Nic - I had such a weekend (huge cookout) that I had to get my fellow birdie friend to help me out with your egg bread.  She shipped it out today...apparently GA to CA is a big deal (shipping was WAY more than we expected and will take 5 days)...but you'll have your bread soon.  It's super supplemented, I'm sure you'll have eggs in no time flat!  Just remember, keep it in the freezer!
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 11:59:29 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: How much more was the shipping, and I'll PayPal it to ya.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:10:17 PM »
Don't worry about it.  I don't know what she did when she shipped it, it should have been half of what she paid AND that would have been 2 day Priority...so it's her mistake at your delay.  Sorry! 
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 01:09:02 PM »
 :lmao3: I guess she doesn't know about using the USPS 2 day boxes.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »
 :lmao3:  SHE DOES NOW!!!
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »
 :clap: I got it today along with your homemade grit.  :tyrose: How long does it typically need to be fed, and do you take away their other food, or use this as a top dressing?
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
I'm so dense...just saw this from last year!  DOH...
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 08:49:40 PM »
 :lmao3: I top dressed with it, 1/2t per bird
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats

helmstead

• Mega Poster
    • Helmstead Stables
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 08:59:08 PM »
I always just put it in its own dish.  Since my finches are little laying machines, I always keep it available.  Guess it worked for you!  =)
Kate
Helmstead Stables
Alfordsville, IN
www.helmsteadstables.com

GoatTalker

• Administrator
  • Mega Poster
  • Built on the word
    • Bowler Farms
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2009, 09:32:01 PM »
Sure did. Sometimes when I put things in separate dishes the little buggers won't eat it. But top dressed, they dive right in.
Bowler Farms
www.bowlerfarms.com
e-mail n@bowlerfarms.com
Show Quality Pygmy Goats